Manasota still coughing up WWII ammo

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
Red tide abated a bit so hit Manasota Beach today. Still finding 50 cal copper jackets. They must have fired a ton of them on the beaches near and around Venice.

My wife and I dug up around 20 of em and stopped as they are pretty deep..I understand there were targets setup off-shore during WWII...Since then, the beached had been replenished with dredged material from there quite a few times...

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live here so i hunt that beach a good bit. Venice i tend to find more of the .50 casings .... Manasota you get the jackets..... and tiny pieces of brass. Venice used to be an air base during WWII and the did a lot of practice runs along these beaches. Doesnt take long to get an ear for them thou..... distinct high tone.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive gotten 50 cals on the east of Fla. in the past too - many people don't know they fired on Uboats off the coast - they used to just tell the public
it was target practice - so times it was - some times it wasnt

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live here also, sarasota airport used to be a airforce base. I could tell you where there are old planes burried 10ft underground still loaded with the artillary. When the planes crashed into the ground they burried themselves in our florida dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread