Manmade trench in Limestone creek?

jk1031

Dec 7, 2014
Lockhart, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ & Nokta Makro PulseDive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this trench crossing in the middle of a limestone creek, and what was it used for? It's roughly 2-3 feet wide, and runs from one side of the creek to the other. It's a little over a foot deep. I've dug out parts of it a few times and found a handful of civil war bullets each time.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They probably had some kind of Dam or lock or something

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know, but it really has some interest. Civil War bullets? Dig more, let us know.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As "Relic Lover" mentioned, this could be the equivalent of a "water replenishment valve" for a nearby canal.
To be navigable, the canal must contain a specified minimum depth of water for the boats.

Is there an adjacent foot path nearby (i.e., for mules)?
Did you look in Google Earth for an aerial view? That might lead to some clues if you can see the bigger picture.

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what state you are in but if you can get ahold of some of the older County atlases that were made just after the Civil War it may very well say that it was a lock or a dam or a canal route. It's also very possible that it is a mill site of some sort Gristmill comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cuts in that rock definitely look modern, no drill holes that I can see either. I've seen train bridges from the 1900's that look rougher than that. I mean I can always be wrong (mostly am). Anyone with similar thoughts?

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That wouldn't be the area where the old cotton mill stood along Plum Creek by any chance?

Upvote 0

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say a partial foundation or retaining wall footing of an old grist mill that washed away or burned many many years ago. We have similar looking mill ruins all over the creeks of SW Missouri.

Upvote 0

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a Dam Notch that held logs in place to stop water. I really don't know but that is my best guess.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd guess there's a pipeline or cable run under the creek there. There might be a sign on the bank nearby marking the location. It's a perfect trap for bullets and sinkers and anything else that's heavy enough to get trapped in it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread