Manticore Pre-Order Cancellation and Refund Problem

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I finally gave up on the Manticore pre-order BS and decided to get my money refunded. The lack of communication, the fact that the retailer has had my $1,600 for over three months, the advertising hype and performance comparisons have completely burned me out. Releasing the 700 and 900 before Christmas before honoring their Manticore obligations was the last straw for me. I just want to retire my high usage 3 year old Nox 800 and get out in the field before the ticks emerge.

Yesterday I submitted two inquiries to my retailer asking for the refund, giving my invoice info and payment method. One via the help messenger, the other a support email. Their help messenger, usually present, has been off-line. No reply to either. This morning I called direct and received a pre-recorded message stating they are unavailable as the staff is in a "training session" with no ability to leave a recorded message. I wrote to them saying I will wait until the end of day to hear something, anything, from a living human. My metal detecting superstore has been in business almost as long as I have been alive. I have bought three detectors from them. Their Manticore pre-order page emphasizes a "no-hassle" refund policy at any time.

I'm genuinely worried. Their stock of everything is low. I've been wondering how a company with a bag of cash from couple of hundred Manticore pre-orders sitting around with an open-ended ship date might pose a temptation for other uses. I'm wondering if many others have decided to do what I plan to: buy the 900 instead and take back the extra $500. The company that has my money doesn't have 900 stock. Many others do and I want to buy now.

I'm not naming names now but it certainly has become a hassle.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday I finally gave up on the Manticore pre-order BS and decided to get my money refunded. The lack of communication, the fact that the retailer has had my $1,600 for over three months, the advertising hype and performance comparisons have completely burned me out. Releasing the 700 and 900 before Christmas before honoring their Manticore obligations was the last straw for me. I just want to retire my high usage 3 year old Nox 800 and get out in the field before the ticks emerge.

Yesterday I submitted two inquiries to my retailer asking for the refund, giving my invoice info and payment method. One via the help messenger, the other a support email. Their help messenger, usually present, has been off-line. No reply to either. This morning I called direct and received a pre-recorded message stating they are unavailable as the staff is in a "training session" with no ability to leave a recorded message. I wrote to them saying I will wait until the end of day to hear something, anything, from a living human. My metal detecting superstore has been in business almost as long as I have been alive. I have bought three detectors from them. Their Manticore pre-order page emphasizes a "no-hassle" refund policy at any time.

I'm genuinely worried. Their stock of everything is low. I've been wondering how a company with a bag of cash from couple of hundred Manticore pre-orders sitting around with an open-ended ship date might pose a temptation for other uses. I'm wondering if many others have decided to do what I plan to: buy the 900 instead and take back the extra $500. The company that has my money doesn't have 900 stock. Many others do and I want to buy now.

I'm not naming names now but it certainly has become a hassle.
I guess you can mark it up as a learning experience.
Personally I am very old school-you have the product-you get payment.
Someone has $300K in pre order cash.
Not a bad thing, sitting there collecting interest.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The retailer has blown me off for two days without any kind of word. Essentially, the phone is off the hook.

"At any time before these detectors ship, you can contact us for a full refund if you would like to cancel your pre-order reservation."

I hope they didn't have their big sack of Manticore cash tied up in Sam Bankman-Fied's FTX Crypto Empire collapse.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see a $100 deposit but not paying the full price to preorder.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good ending this morning. I got my refund along with a message. The retailer stated they were busy getting a large batch of Manticores ready for shipping and as their phone message stated, were in a training session. I have to shake my head at people trying to flip things around on me. All they had to do was give me a quick reply to any of my three messages over a two day period. Also, having the phone line shut down with a training session message combined to make the situation feel sketchy. How can you shut down your entire customer service while training? My first advice in training would be to communicate with customers. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't have to resort to naming the retailer.

I just ordered the Equinox 900 from Big Boys Hobbies. The deal is actually better. The other "superstore" charged me for shipping with the Manticore pre-order on a bare bones package. The 900 comes bundled with a free Lesche digger, Minelab Carry Bag, and Minelab Shell finds Pouch. Sometimes bundles can be off brand stuff or trinkets but this is a great useable package. I'm happy that I get the 6" coil bundled in. I own the 15" so now I have the set. And now I suddenly have 500 bucks in my pocket. The only downside is that Manticore owners may come in and scrape that extra inch depth of finds from my hunting grounds. Maybe.

I'm going to gift my used Nox 800 to a youngster I know who is enthusiastic about the hobby but can't afford a machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread