Manual Gold Pump Filling Classifier In 60 Secs

Goldgrabber

Mar 24, 2015
England, UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a video showing the 4" manual gold pump I've made filling a classifier in literally 60 seconds. Using a standard 2 1/2" pump would never fill a classifier this quickly regardless of the type of material available, the 4" is just a suction monster when it comes to shifting material quickly. The 4" gold dredges barely ever get stuck with rocks due to it;s size as most stones will easily fit in the tube that would block up most smaller gold pumps & gold dredges. You can see in the video it only takes 4 pumps on the dredge to fill the classifier and the video then goes on to underwater shots of the pump so you can see the material it shifts and the suction it creates. Due to UK panning laws, powered equipment is not allowed so we have to make do with the equipment we can use that works and by scaling up said equipment, it means more material can be moved and worked in the same time.

Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
th
bet I can beat that.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
That has tobe a tool for young people. I probly would have a hard time just carrying it ! and after the day is done , Ill bet Ben-Gay is liberly applied to the shoulders before bed ! BUT its working for him!

OP
OP
Goldgrabber

Goldgrabber

Mar 24, 2015
England, UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
My mate uses a 4" manual pump too and I raced him with my shovel, on the top layer it's just as quick but more tiresome trying to keep up, when the hole gets deeper the pump wins out straight away and this hole ended up being nearly 4ft deep so shovelling that wouldn't be practical. Shovels also can't suck up gravels on jagged bedrock where the pumps just suck it straight off & up the pipe :)
The pump can be hard work, especially the later the day gets, but as you can fill a bucket so quickly you actually spend most of the time sat sluicing the material

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My mate uses a 4" manual pump too and I raced him with my shovel, on the top layer it's just as quick but more tiresome trying to keep up, when the hole gets deeper the pump wins out straight away and this hole ended up being nearly 4ft deep so shovelling that wouldn't be practical. Shovels also can't suck up gravels on jagged bedrock where the pumps just suck it straight off & up the pipe :)
The pump can be hard work, especially the later the day gets, but as you can fill a bucket so quickly you actually spend most of the time sat sluicing the material

Good explanation and good point about where the pump wins out.

One thing: if it takes you longer to sluice the material than it took to dig it, then you are using the wrong sluice!

OP
OP
Goldgrabber

Goldgrabber

Mar 24, 2015
England, UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Cheers Kev, bear in mind tho we can fill a 5gl bucket in under 5 minutes using the 4" pump, but it takes longer than 5 minutes to sluice 5gl's worth of classified material without blasting it through the sluice, I like my sluicing to be a slow & steady but constant feed which takes about 15 min's to get through a bucket

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread