Manual Ground Balance - Thoughts? Advice?

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so I've got the AT Pro. Been using it about 4 months now and finding some issues in my local soil. Ground is showing an auto ground balance number of 77-80 and is a dark soil with good amount of pete in it. Expecting to find more than I am, wondering if maybe the conditions are making the higher target numbers (coins, silver) harder to distinguish. The ATP book talks only shortly about this condition and suggests manually balancing a few points negative to help the situation.
I'm looking for advice from those who have experimented with this idea...good or bad.

I'm in a great location (England) but my time is limited to only a couple years so I'm hoping to adapt quickly.

Thanks for any help and I look forward to the discussions.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes manual ground balance just pump coil while you drop or raise number. You can neg balance if you want but I've heard both good and bad on that. I use both manual and auto depending on how the detector is acting. Good luck

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
* Ground balance your machine occasionally. Temperature can change, and directly affect the settings. Hunting in shade vs. sun can vary. "a 14 degree difference on a lawn area to a 35 degree difference on a parking lot." But, the mineralization can also change between areas....so again...ground balance periodically.

* To increase the depth/sensitivity to silver targets, manually ground balance the detector lower the ground balanced numbers a few points. For better conductivity for gold, ground balance the detector, then raise balance numbers up a bit.

For some more information on Garrett Detectors, check out my YOU-TUBE Channel below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8CORF4dsmopibINy0fWzGA

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
It does not matter if you auto gb or manual gb, you will still arrive at the same gb number. Your soil conditions are not affecting the performance of the machine, as long as the tecter is properly gb'd to said soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions