Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
benefit of running manual is getting the best depth at the cost of a little bit of instability. No, ground balance doesnt change because of manual sens. Unless you have really bad ground, you shouldnt be using any.

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
benefit of running manual is getting the best depth at the cost of a little bit of instability. No, ground balance doesnt change because of manual sens. Unless you have really bad ground, you shouldnt be using any.

Thanks Jason, I will be trying it out tomorrow!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason, I will be trying it out tomorrow!

Good luck. It takes a bit more patience. You should increase the number until the machine becomes just a little bit unstable. If a target is repeatable, then dig it!

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got out yesterday. Found a few coins, as it was getting dark I was hitting something about 9 to 11 inches deep and was jumping around. I didn't dig it but my questions is, the deeper the target are the readings off a bit?

Thanks!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got out yesterday. Found a few coins, as it was getting dark I was hitting something about 9 to 11 inches deep and was jumping around. I didn't dig it but my questions is, the deeper the target are the readings off a bit?

Thanks!

Think of the CTX VDI FE-numbers like a trampoline. Very shallow targets are stable and move very little. The deeper a targets gets, the more the numbers begin bouncing up and down, but they will stay very close to the same CO reading. Make sure you have the target trace turned on to see this effect better.

Here is a video of how the absolute "edge of detection" targets respond on the CTX.

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of the CTX VDI FE-numbers like a trampoline. Very shallow targets are stable and move very little. The deeper a targets gets, the more the numbers begin bouncing up and down, but they will stay very close to the same CO reading. Make sure you have the target trace turned on to see this effect better.

Here is a video of how the absolute "edge of detection" targets respond on the CTX.

I've been using target trace which is a big help! The area's I hunt are littered with trash and nails and all the better coins I have found are always in the nails! I was watching your video's the other day and made me think I am missing a lot which are deep. I have dug with my Safari wheats over 12 inches deep! The ctx was giving a good signal one way and was showing two targets but when it seemed to really lock on it showed junk but I wasn't sure if the depth had a lot to do with it. I marked the spot and will go back soon! Have a beach trip for the next three days! Woo Hoo!
Thanks for your replys Jason!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX is a great detector. It gives clear "dig me" responses on most coins, even the ones with iron next to them. Its those very fringe targets - deep, on edge, mixed with iron that you have to learn to pick out. Learning comes from digging, so always look for the excuse TO dig, not to walk away. Even when you learn the nuances, you'll still get fooled some times, but that just the price of the game.

Generally those target VDI that are all over (I call them shotgun patterns) are rusty iron, but they will also have an iron reading in the bottom right.

I dont use my CTX a lot any more, but I'm happy to help and give you what knowledge I still retain of it. :laughing7:

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I am also curious, I use FC but have been playing with high trash. I am thinking I will also be playing with Ground coin. Which one do you use the most and why? FC seems to work pretty good in the clay here and around the nails and trash.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used Fe-Coin the most. My ground wasnt mineralized enough to worry about needing Ground-Coin, and used very minimal disc so I always felt the iron separation purpose was best for my hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions