Many wheats and no silver

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
This may sound elementary but...
I have been in some places where I find lots of wheats and find no silver at all, not even a silver VDI ping on the machine. The last place I found tons of copper at was when I was hunting with a group. I must have found $1.50 in nothing but wheats and not a single silver. OK, what (if anything) am I doing wrong? Maybe I think it may come down to the simple fact that many people loose more pennies than they might loose in silver or larger coins. I do have my machine (DFX300) opened up in both the factory set coins and a custom setting. Any ideas? Thanks for assisting and up and coming get his mind right.

Gary

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
please! if you don't want the wheats send them to PO box 31 NY. you must be hunting good ground. some people just harvest the silver and move on. i love silver but wheats are great too. my 85 yo dad worked for 50 cents a day as a teen. i'm sure he was careful with his change. big pay ya know!

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Wheats are always a good sign - my motto is, where there's Wheaties, there's silver. HOWEVER...I've found a number of sites just like yours - schools, yards, parks - and I always try to understand what I find, or what I DON'T find.
I think there were a few older machines, in the right hands, that could 'cherrypick' silver - especially when the coins were shallower than now. I've had a few sites where I got 10-15 Wheaties, and no silver. :icon_scratch: Granted, in the 'old days', a dime was worth something, and one might 'care' for it better. But I certainly carried some silver in my pocket, and no reason it couldn't get lost as easily as pennies.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver has all been picked over!

I've hunted several locations and turned up close to 50 wheats and no silver. It just happens.

In my 11 hunts so far this year I have dug 136 wheats, 17 indian heads, and 35 pieces of silver.

4.37:1 Copper:Silver Ratio

Some places are better than others.

But if people cherry-picked the silver and left the wheats, I bet there are still some silver dimes and indian heads left in there worth digging up!

OP
OP
sndman60

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Not that I am complaining about finding wheaties, but it just seemed a little odd that with ALL the clads and wheats I didn't find any silver. I am still a bit new to this and maybe that lends to a little self confidence issue. And yes, I do agree that before I hit these places, they were well raked of the silver. But, I know they couldn't getem all. Thanks and see around the neighborhood. Good luck to all and HH.

Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions