Map dowsing accuracy.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe someone in the past wrote about this, but I am going to write about it again: How to check and know how accurate your map dowsing shots really are, then adjust as needed.

Pick a city, any city.
Map dowse for that city's hall.
Measure the distance from where you are to that city.
Measure the distance from your dowsing X spot to that city hall.
Determine the direction from your dowsing X to that city hall.
Log all this information down and after many dowsing shots, you will know how to adjust in any direction for better accuracy over any distance.

My map dowsing shot statistics right now show I am hitting South West of almost all city halls.

This method of sharpening your map dowsing skill could get you closer, if not right on target, assuming it has not been found and removed by someone in the past.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Pick a city, any city.
Map dowse for that city's hall.
Measure the distance from where you are to that city.
Measure the distance from your dowsing X spot to that city hall.
Determine the direction from your dowsing X to that city hall.
Log all this information down and after many dowsing shots, you will know how to adjust in any direction for better accuracy over any distance.
Practice, practice and more pratice

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the north end of the house and the well about at halfway distance...every time I've walked through there my rods always reacted. I never dug to check it out, but didn't seem to be gold or silver, not anything for me to figure it worth the dig. This happened ever since making my last sets of bronze rods, back before 2009.

Last summer people built a new house on the lot next door. Then the utilities company asked me if they could hook up to our gas line, run the one box of a 2-box detector. I said, "sure go right ahead". It was neat to watch how the box is connected left sitting there. The other box used to by hand swing back and forth over the gas line. As the gas line was beeped, to my amazement, it beeped right across the exact spot my L-rods indicated over a period of several years.

Never had worked for a utilities company, but from this experience, it sure does tell you where a line is every time without error.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread