Maps coming this week...

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered some maps from a place in Austin yesterday (forget the name) I got the 1936 County maps for Galveston County, and Polk County, Texas.Plus the 1901 City map of Giddings, Texas...I can hardly wait to see them...I hope they were worth the 30 dollars, I paid...I will let everyone know how they turn out......Does anyone use old maps to coin shoot???? These are supposed to show Homes, and schools, and parks........I am really excited.....Tom

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
If you have a scanner at home you can scan them in and overlay them in Google Earth. I did this with an 1898 topo I have of my area and it's opened up quite a few new possible sites. I'm waiting for another topo of the same era just west of the one I have now. All of the houses in the area are marked on the map as a dot.

You may have to scan the map in sections and "stitch" the images back together to make the scanned map a single file. Ideally, see if you can find a local Kinko's or copy shop with a large flat bed scanner to get it in one shot. Save as a .jpg and you're ready to go.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JoeMoto said:
If you have a scanner at home you can scan them in and overlay them in Google Earth. I did this with an 1898 topo I have of my area and it's opened up quite a few new possible sites. I'm waiting for another topo of the same era just west of the one I have now. All of the houses in the area are marked on the map as a dot.

You may have to scan the map in sections and "stitch" the images back together to make the scanned map a single file. Ideally, see if you can find a local Kinko's or copy shop with a large flat bed scanner to get it in one shot. Save as a .jpg and you're ready to go.

Wow, really cool idea...I do not have a scanner, but if that really works, I will get one...does that allow you to see the differences between then, and now?????Thanks, Tom

BTW, the maps were not as good as I hoped for....

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
gallileo60 said:
Wow, really cool idea...I do not have a scanner, but if that really works, I will get one...does that allow you to see the differences between then, and now?????Thanks, Tom

BTW, the maps were not as good as I hoped for....

It does allow you to see the differences between then and now. Google maps has a slider bar for overlays that makes them fade out or go fully opaque. I look for a particular dot and then slide back and forth to compare features and terrain then and now. You can actually see the variations in ground coloring that matches where the old house once stood.

Check out the seller http://stores.ebay.com/covenantmaps on ebay, I've bought both of mine from him and they are really good for my area. He has a bunch available for Texas as well.

arnoldziffel

Jan 8, 2010
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
you might be able to use a fax machine instead of buying a scanner. I know the one I have at work will allow me to email a scan to someone in a variety of different formats. (.jpg, .tiff, .pdf.)

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions guys....

Top Member Reactions