Maps

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey gang, I've noticed, whenever reading Yamashita treasure hunter's efforts/posts, that quite often "maps" are involved. The person searching will have inherited, in some way, a "map". Passed on from a relative, or friend, or sold to them as an investor, or found in an old chest, or .... whatever. And the maps usually have some sort of stellar lineage, traced back 70+ yrs. to some assistant or soldier on Yamashita's troops, or someone who knew his family, or .... whatever.

To test this, all you have to do is go back through the posts on this T'net section, and you see this trend over and over. Or go do a google search, and you will see that various "maps" are circulating around.

I would venture to guess the maps must number in the hundreds, if not thousands. In the last post of this forum, for instance, are numerous more to add.

Does anyone here see a problem with this ? At some point, wouldn't you start to get skeptical ? I mean, seriously now, certainly not all of them can be true, right ? Certainly some must be fanciful musings, or modern gimmicks , eh ?

They can NOT all point to treasure, I'm sure you'd agree. Lest we'd have to conclude there are thousands of locations, and thousands of maps were drawn up in 1944 to whenever the last of Yamashita's friends and fellow soldiers passed on.

So let's just cut the chase and say, for sake of argument, that some are spurious (even if not well meant and sincere). Even the most die-hard believer would have to admit this, right ?

Ok, then guess what happens next? : The believer will, of course, consider HIS map(s) to be genuine (with lineage traced back to someone who really knew, was there, etc...). However, the maps held by others, must be later fanciful ghost story musings, or gimmicks, or just art and maps meaning nothing at all to do with "yamashita" or "gold".

But wait! The person(s) holding those other 1000 maps LIKEWISE consider all the other maps to lack authenticity. Only THEIRS is the real mcCoy.

But you can't have it all different ways. As sincere and convinced as you are that yours is real (based on whatever story you were told when you got it, as to it's stellar lineage/origin), SO TOO is the other hunters equally convinced that theirs is the real one(s).

Hence it's next to impossible to suggest to someone to be skeptical of their own map(s). While on the one hand they can acknowledge that the simple existence of a "map" doesn't bode for "treasure", yet their own map is never part of that true-saying-fact.

Just saying to step back and consider for a moment that if 1000's of maps circulate by this year 2016 (and certainly more will pop up), that .... this should make you question your own map's authenticity. NO MATTER HOW STELLAR and convincing the story you heard when you got it.

So too did I hear all sorts of stellar and convincing treasure stories when I got ready to go to Mexico to cache hunt in the early 1990's. My host had several stories from his high mountain villages (where the Spaniards mined gold in the 1600 & 1700s). But after we arrived, one-by-one, they all fizzled under scrutiny. However, when first hearing them , they sounded so iron-clad. So too might the psychology be when you inherit a map. Whatever lineage is told you is seemingly iron-clad. In fact, the person telling you where it originated from MIGHT BE VERY SINCERE ! He/she is simply telling you whatever story they were told. And that person is simply passing on the story they were told. And so on and so forth the telephone game goes.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you have a new "Bee in your Bonnet" buddy! :laughing7: Merry Christmas Tom!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread