Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had my longest detecting session last Tuesday with my good buddy, Kiana. She is a tremendously enthusiastic detectorist and her finds are starting to show up. We are both passionate beach hunters.

We started out at 5:00 AM from my house and settled on a southern beach some 25+ miles from my home. It was 5:45 and the beach was still closed...but that didn't stop us. I went right and Kiana went left. There was a beautiful 12" to 20" cut but no luck at the cut at all. However I hit a few nice pockets at the waterline. Lots of pennies but enough quarters to make things interesting. It was still dark when I got a "coin" signal that fell out of the scoop. In the dark it looked/felt like a tiny ring.

With dawn I could see it was a ring...a tiny ring with diamonds! The last photo shows the ring sitting on a dime...yep tiny ..all of 1.08 grams.

Next beach had a huge 4 to 5 foot cut! Coins galore...and at a horribly trashy site with rocky black sand and hunks of iron I picked out a small coin sized signal. I must say this is the most difficult PI type of hunting. Almost continuous iron signal and just trying to pick out the small hits. I picked out 2 coins there, one a larger half and a smaller dime. After cleaning ..it's my first Barber dime...1913! and a 1929 Walking Liberty Half!

After a nice lunch provided with Kiana we hit a 3rd beach and then moved on to a fourth. Although it was fun there wasn't anything too notable there. Kiana got me home by just about 6:00PM.

This is my first gold ring with my new (used) Dual Field. It's a PI machine that really speaks to me. Although the Sand Shark was a great experience it just didn't connect for me like the White's Dual Field does!

Big Thanks to Kiana for taking care of me for this marathon detecting session!

Attachments

• Coins obv 2oct12 sm.jpg
    Coins obv 2oct12 sm.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Coins rev 2oct12 sm.jpg
    Coins rev 2oct12 sm.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Gold ring 2 2oct12 sm.jpg
    Gold ring 2 2oct12 sm.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 102
  • Gold ring 2oct12 sm.jpg
    Gold ring 2oct12 sm.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG,Joe :wav:yes that ring is tiny but yet so pretty,awesome find on your first Barber and of course Miss Liberty:icon_thumright:I know there is more old coins there yonder,we just have to search deeper:laughing9::laughing7::laughing9:I keep going back and yes that iron does blast off on the PI,but I'm thinking those were steps before at one time so maybe I have to digg gently around that area and maybe something good will show up,went there yesterday with Hubby and I got 2 silver rings:hello2:It was fun gotta do it again,maybe starting from Venice Beach to Santa Barbara:laughing9::laughing9::wav::walk::walk::walk::walk::walk::walk:,,HH:hello:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt and lots of nice finds Joe, I'm a good friend of Surfnturf, he told me he met you last year at seal beach, he also told me he thought he saw Kiana coming off the beach when he arrived there,
But didn't get to meet her, surfs got relatives there. HH

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dr. Joe, thank you for a most entertaining post! :hello2:

Congratulations on the beautiful gold ring /diamonds.

That was certainly a marathon hunt!

I wish you and Kiana continued success :headbang:

Lorraine

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be all tuckered out with that many beaches. I am no spring chicken anymore but still enjoy a nice Post such as yours.:icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds WTG :hello2:

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe looks like a great day out hunting! Congratulations on your Barber!
Many more to come! My sister in-law is coming east this holiday so we won't be visiting S.B. this year. If you come east to visit family give me a call!
SnT

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great LookinG Ring !!!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions