Marathon Dig: SEVEN early Silvers and ANTEBELLUM GOLD!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Shagalang and I both had Friday afternoon, Saturday, and Sunday off (which is RARE!) so we did what sensible people would do--we went digging for three days!! :D Had no idea when we started our marathon hunt that we would break our personal records for an individual hunt, and I'd end up bringing back some ANTEBELLUM GOLD!

Here's a video of the weekend, which you'll want to see!

We decided to hunt a field where targets are thin but payoff is high when something is dug. We'd hunted the site last several years ago with success. Friday afternoon we got busy digging and Shang got a nice 1798 Spanish Silver Half Real!

IMG_5209a.jpg IMG_5265.JPG

After that excitement, we dug a few flat buttons, melted brass, and lead bits and called it a day.

Yesterday started with us back out scratching the earth, trying to scare up some more coins. Shang dug two nice civilian "flower buttons" and then yelled "Hi Ho!" when he dug a second silver. I ran over to see him grinning and hold up an 1807 Half Real!

IMG_5215a.jpg IMG_5217a.jpg IMG_5266.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG IMG_5263.JPG

My only consolation prize was a beautiful English Gun Flint which I eyeballed. :)

IMG_5218a.jpg

This morning we got up and out early, inspired by the previous digs. My wife, diggergirl, decided to join us since we were digging goodies ;)

First thing, Shang eyeballed a nice, larger-than-normal trade bead. I thought I might get skunked for the third day in a row, but then I dug a nice mid-range signal and out popped an 1839-O Seated Half Dime! :headbang:

212_1417.JPG 212_1421.JPG

Circled around and got another nice signal and BOOM, a second Seated Half Dime! 1841! Was sticking straight up and down in the row!

212_1427.JPG 212_1430.JPG

I decided to move out of the area and let Shang have a go, so I got way out of the iron patch and hunted the fringe area a while (I do this a lot when I've made some good finds and need to let my pulse lower some LOL). Well in this case my pulse got MUCH faster as I got a nice mid-range beep and looked down to see GOLD STICKING OUT OF THE TOP OF THE GROUND!!! My friends, one thing you NEVER see when hunting the types of sites I hunt, is GOLD. I yelled at Shang and DG to come see, and got down on my hands and knees to see.

IMG_5246.JPG

Gently prying it out of the hard dirt, it was the top of a pre-Civil War Gold Ring!! I'm completely shocked that the stone has stayed intact. Unfortunately, the loop is not intact--but I feel certain that it is in the field somewhere waiting for us.

IMG_5248.JPG

After searching around for about an hour for the missing loop, I decided to join the others. On my way toward them, I got another nice, mid-range signal and popped out a THIRD silver for the day--1842-O Seated Half Dime!!

IMG_5249.JPG IMG_5250a.jpg

Now--let me just say that we have never dug more than three silvers in one day. Well, we weren't done. Shang then goes and digs himself a BLAZING 1839-O Seated Half Dime!! Seriously, one of the finest condition Seateds we've ever dug here.

IMG_5251a.jpg IMG_5252a.jpg

It starts to get to afternoon, and DG had to go home to go to a meeting--so we reluctantly left and Shang decides to stay another hour or so. Then I get a video from Shang on the way home--silver AGAIN! 1814 Half Real!

Five silvers in one day is just crazy. Add the gold to it and I'm just in a state of shock. Here are photos of the 5 silvers dug today, for a total of 7 for the weekend.

1839obv.jpg 1839rev.jpg

1841obv.jpg 1841rev.jpg

1842obv.JPG 1842rev.jpg

IMG_5274.JPG IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5276a.jpg IMG_5275a.jpg

And the GOLD! I'm STILL shocked that this was in the ground, and survived intact for 180 years! Looks like the inner piece (around the stone) was put in, bent and shaped, and braised together. Then the outer, decorative piece was bent and braised together (note the seams), then the loop portion would have been braised onto the bottom of the ring. Any ideas what era this dates from? My hunch is Federal Era. I'm still on cloud nine over this find!

IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG IMG_1167a.JPG

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckleboy, Shangalang, and Diggergirl

Last edited:
Upvote 54

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WoW! Those finds are awesome! Big congrats!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't you guys ever get tired of digging Reales and Seated silver? No, I wouldn't either. In the stories about you hunts, you really capture the essence of detecting; Sometimes your friends do well, and then sometimes you do well. But then when you nail a couple killer finds you move over and let your buddy in there. That's the true spirit of detecting and it sounds like you and the Cane Bandits are a hell of a good group to detect with.

In re: gold ring - you have the bezel and that's the important part. Absolutely killer find and I'm astonished the stones is still intact! You rocked it Buck (and Shang, and digger-g).

Steve

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a monster hunt
Congrats

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I swear those half dimes must be reproducing in your ground. The lack of large coppers is a problem I would love to have

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys just kill the half dimes out your way!!!! keep them all comin!:icon_thumright:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
most of us just want to find one half dime and you guys have them all over the place! totally awesome and love that gold, the stone looks very nice too. love your posts and vids

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic coin and relic hunt! :notworthy:

Those half dimes are killer! :icon_thumleft:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUPER STAR HUNT!!!:headbang: Great collection of shared finds and a great group of friends having a BLAST! Thanks for sharing a fantastic hunt and great time had by all. Amazing!:icon_salut:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always impressed with your posts, and this one even kicks it up a notch with that crazy gold. Congrats on a legendary weekend of hunts with the gang!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Look at the spectacular Gold! You won't sleep much tonite:) I know I wouldn't. FYI judging by how the ring was made I am pretty sure the loop was a full circle and stayed on the losers finger. No loop to be had here I think.

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful ring.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you guys ever get tired of digging Reales and Seated silver? No, I wouldn't either. In the stories about you hunts, you really capture the essence of detecting; Sometimes your friends do well, and then sometimes you do well. But then when you nail a couple killer finds you move over and let your buddy in there. That's the true spirit of detecting and it sounds like you and the Cane Bandits are a hell of a good group to detect with.

In re: gold ring - you have the bezel and that's the important part. Absolutely killer find and I'm astonished the stones is still intact! You rocked it Buck (and Shang, and digger-g).

Steve

Thanks so much, Steve. Part of the reason we do so well--is because we get along so well. I think there have only been hard feelings once or twice in 6 years of digging together, so that's a good track record! I'm amazed that the bezel is intact too. I bet the loop of the ring took a hit from a plow and it was a near miss on the bezel and stone!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear those half dimes must be reproducing in your ground. The lack of large coppers is a problem I would love to have

We've only dug a hand full of coppers in 6 years down here--perhaps an average of one per year. But that's about as often as we dig a pre-CW philly minted coin of any kind (like this hunt's 1841). Only average 1-2 per year of Philly Seated coins or Capped. I just don't think those coins circulated down here very much.

I hope they are reproducing underground! Wish there was a way to fertilize them and make them grow faster! :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most of us just want to find one half dime and you guys have them all over the place! totally awesome and love that gold, the stone looks very nice too. love your posts and vids

Thanks so much, dirtlooter!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUPER STAR HUNT!!!:headbang: Great collection of shared finds and a great group of friends having a BLAST! Thanks for sharing a fantastic hunt and great time had by all. Amazing!:icon_salut:

Thanks for the reply, Kurios! Yeah, never a dull moment--even when we ain't finding sh@#$%t. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread