Marbles found in the woods

Sep 18, 2011

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In kid's slingshots.

Back in what day? Marbles can date a site based on composition and manufacture. Clay, slates, glass, and then the inclusions in the glass, etc.

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
One of the marbles I found contained glass that was shattered. From what I understand these were frozen and placed in boiling water to crack them. Does this prove anything about potential age of the site?

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the years, I have dug up many marbles along with coins. I always figured that it was some childs buried treasure stash. It is quite amazing how often this happens,at least to me. Clay marles have been around forever. Found in Egyptian tombs. Glass marbles were not really mass produced until about 1915.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I know a few people that have lost their marbles,well............now I give it some thought,more than a few.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love find the old clay marbles!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Marbles were a passion growing up going to elementary school, played every chance we got. Between my brother and my self we had amassed a 5 gallon ice cream cardboard container full. Then the passion of seeing how far we could shoot them with a slingshot became the craze, no more marbles in our yard and whole lot more in the surrounding neighbours.:laughing7:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In kid's slingshots.

Back in what day? Marbles can date a site based on composition and manufacture. Clay, slates, glass, and then the inclusions in the glass, etc.

Including me, shot glass marbles from Chinese checkers games, or if we had money we'd buy glass marbles. Our favorite was "steelies," actually ball bearings. We also made clay marbles ourselves, for slingshot ammo. Worked pretty good, dug from a clay bank in the creek, hand rolled and sun dried.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the marbles I found contained glass that was shattered. From what I understand these were frozen and placed in boiling water to crack them. Does this prove anything about potential age of the site?

You should post your questions- and maybe pics too- over on the bottle and glass forum here on T-Net. There's a sub-forum there just for marbles, and there are a couple guys whop know everything you'd ever want to know! Marbles have been around for a loooooooong time....

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glass marbles have been around since at least the 1920's. Around the 50's there was a craze to make jewelry out of fried marbles, causing all the inside breakage. I dont recall hearing anything about boiling, I heard they were heated in frying pans.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should post your questions- and maybe pics too- over on the bottle and glass forum here on T-Net. There's a sub-forum there just for marbles, and there are a couple guys whop know everything you'd ever want to know! Marbles have been around for a loooooooong time....

Think they may be mine!...Lost them over and over for years Yakker!...kidding :)

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to get Cat Eyes and heat them in a cast iron frying pan on the stove then pour them into a container of cold water. Most of them would shatter on the inside but still hold their round form, some would break apart. Then we would shoot them in our slingshots and if they hit a fairly solid object, they would shatter on impact, sending out an impressive spray of glass shards. We called them Fragmentation Rounds. We were poor kids, only had 3 channels on the TV, and no electronic games to occupy our fertile minds with, it was a great time to grow up, and that was the 1960's. Cheers!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread