March 30 & 31 2012 artifacts & morels

arrowheadlee

Mar 10, 2011
Iowa
All I can say is WOW !!! The morel hunting has been sucking but the artifact hunting made up for it.
On the 30th, I couldn't find a shroom in any of my early spots but managed to find a couple completes 1 being crude but all there.

IMG_3009.jpg

Today I found some shrooms but in the wrong places. After a couple hours of looking for them, I went point hunting. I started of finding a couple of tip sections in the first couple hours in to the hunt and was getting bumbed because I normally find something complete by the time I get the the area I was in. The area I was approaching was where I found my catlinite effigy pendant a few years back. I noticed something red looking and poked it and then realized it was catlinite. When I picked it up I could see the hole in the end and the side. I'm thinking I have found a tube pipe. Let me tell you, I was ruined the rest of the hunt. I did manage to find a birdie missing the tip. Total hours walking today non stop 8 hours and my already messed up foot is really feeling it, but I'd do it again. Tell me what you all think.

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

Link to video on Youtube

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="March 30 & 31 2012 artifacts & morels.wmv - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen anything even kinda like that! It's certainly Catlinite.....no doubt about it. It could very well be a pipe stem, but I am curious about the groove in it at the end.....looks like a place to tie something.....like there was string of cordage around it to hold something? One other thought I had was a whistle.....it has several qualities of other whistles I've seen made of bone.

Very cool! Thanks for the look.

Matt

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Nice uniques find Lee! I'm with Matt on this one - the groove makes ya wonder...I'm guessing only a matter of days for the shrooms..

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Reminds me of a flute mouthpiece ,I wonder if the pendant owner also owned it ? to cool Chief .

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
Leave it to you Chief to find some Pipestone!!!

What a real treasure! If only that thing could talk and sure wonder what kind of joo-joo was smoked through that thing! :happysmiley:

Awesome video Lee. The grooves that were cut into it obviously functioned for something and wonder if it was part to a larger piece?

Well at any rate, you did good my friend! Congrats!

Last edited:

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
I'm thinkin' whistle. And what a fantastic piece that is. Only you can find such a great bunch of points and have them all so overshadowed by one spectacular piece, that we hardly notice the others. Let us know what they say at the show!

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Wow, what an interesting piece, I understand why you were excited, congrats!!! That is awesome that it was so close to the other sweet pipestone piece you found, really makes you wonder what the story was there!

Last edited:

JRuss

Mar 25, 2011
Very cool. Man I would be stoked if I had a site to look through that produced things like that.

OP
OP
arrowheadlee

arrowheadlee

Mar 10, 2011
Iowa
Thanks all for the replies !!! After looking at it a hole lot closer, it don't look to be used as a pipe (no burn looking spots on it). I tried blowing through it to try the whistle theory, but no sound but air passing through it. I even tried put my figure just over the opening and moving it around to get it to whistle with no luck. So I think the whistle theory is out the window to. Everyone at the show was pretty much stumped to. The whole piece does not has the looks of being made/worked the way it is. 1 person at the show asked if it could have been used as a hair piece. The thing is, it does not show any wear signs at the holes of being fastened in any way. I guess I'm going to have to take it to the state Archie's and see what they think. No matter what it is, it's going to be the find of the year more then likely for me.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
"Find of the year " he says I could only hope any one of us could produce something like that in our lifetime cant wait to hear anything on such a mysterious find congrats Chief.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread