marine animal id help please??

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
I have looked for pictures of fossils that resemble this but to no avail. Any feed back would be great! What do you think this guy is? While the entire body isn't visible you can tell by what IS visible that it is wrapped or curved in a semi circle. One end is broken off. The matrix isn't quite as hard as the critter within it. At the risk of sounding like a complete newbie.....is this little guy worth any money? Thanks in advance.

ForumRunner_20121229_061857.png

ForumRunner_20121229_061917.png

ForumRunner_20121229_061950.png

ForumRunner_20121229_062040.png

OP
OP
idontfollow

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
Any suggestions ideas or comments are appreciated. Do I have something hanging out of my nose or what? ;)

learose44

Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was an EEL. But, no matter what it is, it is valuable in it's three dimensional uniqueness.

OP
OP
idontfollow

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
Thank you for your response. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get any feedback. When I found this fossil I thought it was a coincidence that it looked like an animal in 3D form. When I rinsed it and saw it was exactly what it logged like I was a bit in denial. I didn't know soft tissue would fossilize in that manner. Thanks again.

OP
OP
idontfollow

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
Where would one find a buyer? If I decide to part with it, how do I know what a fair asking price is?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an Awesome piece ! like you I've never seen something that looks like it became
fossilized while in action.
it almost looks like it was a fish that turned to stone while swimming through a hole.

if real it should have extra value to the right collector.
do you have a university in your neck of the woods ?
perhaps they can suggest someone who can give you confirmation
and an idea on how to place a value on it.

You shouldn't sell for $100 if it's real & unique,
& at the same time it's not worth $10 without confirmation it's a fossil

OP
OP
idontfollow

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
Thank you. Yes there are two universities I am in close proximity to. Texas tech is near where I work. I emailed a few colleges and attached pictures but got no response. I suppose I'll just show up with the fossil??

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by the way, the more I read your description above

The more I believe you mean This ? looks like snake ?

ForumRunner_20121229_061857.png

While this is what caught my eye right off

ForumRunner_20121229_061857 - Copy.png

OP
OP
idontfollow

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
Eel was my first thought. The matrix is a concretion. Medium sized pebbles/stones and dirt ( maybe ocean silt & maybe dirt ). Snake certainly crossed my mind as well. Its a hard call because I simply have never seen tissue preserved like this. Also possible that it is a fish ?? it has to be real. Who would plant a fake in the middle of nowhere?

OP
OP
idontfollow

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
Jeff of PA, the detail that caught your eye is the creature that I'm referring to. I don't think there are any other fossils in it

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look like a Carving. & you would be able to feel if it were ceramic .

I have seen some surprising preservation in thick Mud that lacks oxygen.

I suppose if a Million years ago a Mud slide of that consistency caught them :dontknow:
of course some would just call it a rock too.

anyway hopefully one of the Uni's has a Department that can help

OP
OP
idontfollow

idontfollow

Sep 4, 2012
there are a few things i can guarantee about this fossilized animal. it is not ceramic, and it is not a carving. it is absolutely 100% rock/fossil. I'm searching for similar ones visa internet and book and i can't find any like it so i know i have a rare item. anyone have pictures of something close to this? i really want to see them!

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very odd looking find you have there. First questions that enter my mind are....
Was it found near water? 'IE' In proximity to a lake or river, or even close to their ancient shorelines or riverbanks?
Was it..'as is'..when discovered (natural erosion by wind, rain or moving water)to remove that part of the matrix, or did it have to be 'opened up' at all?
'If' that is a head with an eye-socket, is the last photo the backside of matrix with the 'round' protrusion suppose to be the curved backbone vertebra?
Anyway...very interesting.
Thanks for sharing! :)
TJE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions