Marine Epoxy as a Coil Cover

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
If anyone has applied marine epoxy to the bottom of a coil instead of using a coil cover, I'd appreciate knowing which brand epoxy you used, or any you recommend avoiding.

Garrett doesn't make a coil cover for the 12" Imaging coil. I e-mailed them and they replied it won't void the warranty on the coil if I apply a coating of marine epoxy on the coil bottom, but keep the thickness under 1/8 inch to avoid throwing the depth readings off. I also asked them about the Panasonic Oxyride (spelling?) batteries and there won't be any problem using them in my GTI 1500.

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read on another site that the water detector guys use Loctite Aquamarine Epoxy on the bottom of their machines. Now I'm just looking for a place to buy it for my Excalibur.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As per Max or VA beach instruction I too used the Loc-tite marine epoxy on one of my Excals. I only used it on the wading one and the dive Excal is plain. I should do that one too, but haven't had time as I am to busy playing in the water.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Lock Tite marine-I use it on all my coils water and land :)

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
+1 on where to buy it, and I'm also curious what his stuff is like to work with? Is it like paint, or thicker like a regular epoxy or resin?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rowdy said:
+1 on where to buy it, and I'm also curious what his stuff is like to work with? Is it like paint, or thicker like a regular epoxy or resin?

I've read that you paint it on with one of those little aluminum handled brushes. Even if it's tricky to work with, it's still better than cleaning out your coil cover of sand after every trip to the beach.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I get it at Home Depot. it is usually hanging or a rack with the super glue and other glues by the paint dept-ask there. Mask the outside of the coil and around all the openings allowing for some (1/8 inch or so) overlap and paint on with a fairly stiff 1/2 inch brush. It says it will set up in 55 minutes and at that time I remove the masking tape

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Just got back from a week at Rehoboth Beach, DE. I had just coated the coil of my Excal 1000 a few days before I started my trip, and the epoxy coating did a great job. Spez had good advice of putting it on with 2 light coats. I got my Loc-tite at Home Depot.....and now I have gone back, bought more so that I can do my other coils for my DFX.
---Mel

borninok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions