πŸ₯‡ BANNER Marked belt plate from 1812 and my best Connecticut copper.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had an awesome hunt on Saturday.

After a long wait ,got one of my major bucket listers : An engraved belt plate from the War of 1812
It's crazy how many times I imagined myself finding one and it finally happened on Saturday! :headbang: Although I know it's going to be hard to ID this one, I couldn't be happier with its condition.

20180923_103111a.jpg 20180923_103102a.jpg

The letters seem to indicate L.S.V. and I suspect it belonged to a militia soldier. ( Loyal S.... Volunteers?)

An other great find an hour or so latter, was my best preserved Connecticut copper 1785 (Miller 6.4-I)

20180923_0859431.jpg 20180923_0859291.jpg

Couldn't be happier as both relics are top shelf finds but the belt plate,for me personally, takes the cake.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 104
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be quite proud of that haul...!
Beautiful stuff! :icon_thumright:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No skeptic here, but can you educate us westerners what makes it a relic of the β€œWar of 1812”?
Also why is it a breast plate and not a buckle?

Sometimes you Civil War Guys just don’t include enough info.

Great find by the way. Probably incredibly lucky for most people. You have probably put in enough time it was bound to happen in your lifetime?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the mega find! The history attached to that plate makes it a lifetime find for sure, and the condition/patina is the cherry on top. To see that come out of the dirt and realize what you've found must have made you dizzy! I'm late to the party but glad it's up top.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi LOUGH SIDE VOLUNTEERS , Formed in April 1793 under the Yeoman Irish Militia Bill of Lord Hillsbough. Each Irish county 38 in all were to form loyalist militias as the British Regiments with drew. LOUGH SIDE VOLUNTEERS came from County Antrim in Northern Ireland and first served in the Irish Rebellion in 1798 .Battle of Vinegar Hill and the battle of Antrim . Irish Brotherhood deafeated by British Irish Yeoman Regiments . Very rare find TP

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both of those relics are amazing finds Anton! :occasion14:
Congratulations on your 2nd Tnet BANNER!

Dave

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am guessing that if this is a Loyal Stirling Volunteers, or a Lough Side Volunteers piece, that from what little I have read here, neither of these units were probably recruited for any militia service or action on this side of the pond? Thus this item was probably lost as a personal piece from someone who had been in one of those units or similar, and was lost once that person had moved to Canada. Does this sound right or do ya'll think one of these militia saw active duty over here circa the War of 1812?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aureus, Congrat's on one heckuva piece of History. I would have keeled over. Like said, it is in Great shape. I would have keeled over from excitement. I hope to feel one day the way you must have felt when you recovered this piece. I hope to one day find an Eagle Breast Plate from the War of Northern Aggression. I too vote BANNER FIND on this Historical piece. Continued success to you.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on recovering a great historical relic.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was most definitely a great hunt you had and it shows how you don't need to find much if you dig the right ones! Your cleaned results are exactly where each item should be... no less and no more.

Each being the first, or one of the first, to see each others finds from the weekend, I think we'll be had pressed to beat the pictures we were exchanging in near real time... as it was some pretty good stuff!

I hope it continues. You had some amazing stuff in the last week, I had to drop my detector a few times and look at the pics in disbelief of the great condition of those buttons.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible find. I hope you are successful in definitively identifying it.

I'll throw in my 2 cents and agree with others who see it as LIV. That middle letter looks remarkably similar to the script I seen on 1812 infantry buttons. But who knows....

Thanks grasshoper. I really hope to be able to positively ID it soon. So many great theories but without seing a similar example it's gonna be hard to say for sure.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is one of those finds that deserves a trip straight to the top and bypass the votes. There have been some amazing recoveries going on in the TNET community lately. Congrats on this rare find.

Thanks screwynewy

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Following and hoping for a positive ID. Have you posted on Don Troiani's Facebook group, Revolutionary War Buttons, Plates, & Accouterments?
In the meantime I will add my banner vote.
P.S. Congrats on the nice CT copper as well.

Yes I have contacted Don. No positive ID yet, hoping to get one soon.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, After the Irish Rebellion in 1800 The Act of The Union was signed by the Irish and British . Yeoman county regiments where reorganized 1804. In Northern Ireland the Counties of Derry ,Tyron and Antrim became known as the Prince Regent County of Dublin 100 regiment of foot. Lough Side Volunteers made up the 100 regiment of foot and served in the 1812 war . This a guess but i think i may be right TP

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, After the Irish Rebellion in 1800 The Act of The Union was signed by the Irish and British . Yeoman county regiments where reorganized 1804. In Northern Ireland the Counties of Derry ,Tyron and Antrim became known as the Prince Regent County of Dublin 100 regiment of foot. Lough Side Volunteers made up the 100 regiment of foot and served in the 1812 war . This a guess but i think i may be right TP

Thanks. That's some interesting info. I actually found an 1812 100th regiment of foot button 50 meters away from that plate.
20180928_105132.jpg

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bit more info Act of Union was signed by Lord Cornwallis and he was Commander and Chief of Ireland until 1804 and passed away in India a year later. TP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread