east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mark any coin. I rather leave it a mystery for others. Nothing is worse than getting a box and it is full of marked coins, almost ruins the excitement. Lately though, I have seen a new mark in my area and there have been LOTS of them. Anyone have any info??

1photo.JPG

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't seen the "JJ" yet, but the red slash mark has been pretty common in the rolls of halves I pick up from my bank.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone has a diferent take on the marked halves thing, I personally like seeing different marks in my boxes, it tells me that they are being processed and the coin flow is being moved around. I'm not saying that I like marking coins. When I have a box with alot of different marked coins in it that means the dumps have really been broken up, alot of 1 single mark in your boxes says they aren't being processed with a bunch of other coins. HH, Maverick.

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually don't mind seeing the marks for the same reason. Seeing several different ones, like you said, means you're at least not picking up someone's dumps. The only issue I take with it is when a good looking coin gets a big obvious mark. Since I've been filling out the Whitman folders, it breaks my heart to see a beautiful coin with a big sharpie mark on it. I haven't bothered to figure out how to safely clean either (which seem's like a flat out no-no in a lot of situations) so the marked ones just get tossed back most of the time in hopes I will soon find the same condition, year and mint unmarked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread