Marked sterling teapot, sugar, creamer....are they genuine or actually .925?

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
Picked up a teapot, creamer and sugar today. Bottom is marked in an oval "Sterling 925 M.R.R.Mexico D.F.) and Taxco and Perlita. There are not many pieces marked with these markings that i could find, but some websites list that as a mexico sterling mark. If they are genuine, Will be our best find for a while, 1510 grams between the three pieces, and paid $15.
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You bet they are. .925, good quality, fairly old and probably one of the better silver craftsman in Mexico. Nearly all Mexican silver is .925. You can probably check that hallmark and find who made it. I couldn't read, but the town may be there too. Nice, nice find...

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I love to find Taxco, they made some really nice vintage jewelry...there was a site someone listed here last year I believe and you can trace the number to the actual maker of the stuff

OP
OP
Treorp55

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
You bet they are. .925, good quality, fairly old and probably one of the better silver craftsman in Mexico. Nearly all Mexican silver is .925. You can probably check that hallmark and find who made it. I couldn't read, but the town may be there too. Nice, nice find...

I dont question taxco, but i cannot find only a few pieces on the internet besides jewelry that are taxco.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Major score, nice!

OP
OP
Treorp55

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
Thanks! The lady having the sale even knew it was sterling. Took it to the local scrap place and flipped it for a quick $750. Not the best i couldve done, but better than waiting for a check from ARA and paying to ship it down to texas from MI quickly and insured. Bought some other stuff from her as well: a 1879 singer Treadle in a solid cabinet, instead of the metal base, an oak desk/vanity with mirror. I am keeping the vanity, have singer on craiglist, if it doesnt sell i may repurpose the cabinet. Also got a bunch of smaller items from her: three wilton cake pans, Pretty Maid Marx Oven, Hand Carved soapstone pen holder, some Banthrico banks and a few other items for myself. Will be ebaying the smaller stuff in the next couple days. All Had for $120 including the furniture and silver.

OP
OP
Treorp55

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
She also said they still have stuff in storage (it was her moms stuff, and lots of it). So i will be back next time they have a sale to find the tray that went with the set hopefully!

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
I'd drop a note by and ask her to contact you when she pulls that stuff out of storage because you really want the last piece of the set you bought. You might get a preview of other items before the next sale.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont question taxco, but i cannot find only a few pieces on the internet besides jewelry that are taxco.

Not sure what you are saying. Taxco is the best and nobody in their right mind sells it. It is where a great many mexican silversmiths create beautiful work. That whole area...

OP
OP
Treorp55

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
Not sure what you are saying. Taxco is the best and nobody in their right mind sells it. It is where a great many mexican silversmiths create beautiful work. That whole area...

I was saying that i couldnt find many other examples with the same MRR Markings, or Taxco tea pots, so i questioned its authenticity at first because there wasnt much being found with research. But it was obviously real.

I have talked to the lady, in one sentence she complains about everything and having the sale, but didnt like the idea of us purchasing the rest of the stuff in whole at the end of this weekend. Her other brothers and family helping as well liked the idea though. Will be stopping back by tomorrow to touch base again.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad if you were looking for a quick turn over. You could have gotten much more for them than the silver value though.

Still, congrats on the good fortune.

OP
OP
Treorp55

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
Yea, i know i couldve gotten more through another channel, but could really use the money here and now, i have two children still in diapers and a stay at home wife, im sure some others can understand that! haha

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me I understand, my wife was a stay at home mom as well. I wasn't trying to put you down for the sales price, but some people might not realize the value over melt price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions