marking halves ?

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first off hello! i have been lurking for a while and finally joined. I really enjoy a lot of your posts, and have learned a lot from some of you. My question is does marking half dollars really matter? maybe it depends on what bank you are using but i have noticed the more marked half dollars i get in a case the more silver i find. My bank sends all there half dollars they receive to a main branch and they get thrown into a coin roll machine and re packaged. Im guessing all the halves they get customer rolled or coin roll hunter dumps just get thrown into the mix together. I got 2 cases last week and in almost every roll at least 1 half had 2 small black marker lines on one side. I could even see them on most of the ends. It was discouraging until three rolls in silver! I managed 14 40% and one really worn walker. This is not the first time though i have had many cases where most coins are marked and i manage a nice silver take. I ask because maybe it is a waist of time to mark coins? I know im not doing it anymore.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it matters getting marked coins, as long as the box produces silver. Techincally, the more marked half dollars in a box means that they were previously searched over for silver, and the clad dumps were marked since they are not silver. I would prefer a box without no markings, but if I am getting boxes with silver mixed in with marks, the marks don't matter to me in that case!
Good luck to you Mark.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Tell you what.
If you were in my zone, I'd gladly let you buy every one of my Clown-clad boxes. They are guarranteed Nada-no-silverero.

Glad you can still find Ag between the dumps.

Keep on Rollin' !

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should post a picture of these "clown" half dollars you speak of, I would like to see them :)
Tell you what.
If you were in my zone, I'd gladly let you buy every one of my Clown-clad boxes. They are guarranteed Nada-no-silverero.

Glad you can still find Ag between the dumps.

Keep on Rollin' !

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Sorry, BB.
It will be nearly a week before I get any more (I hope).
They are courtesy of Garda through two different banks in my zone.
EVERY side of these things are full of Red, purple, green, blue and black stripes about 1/2 in wide.
Hope you get the picture.

Keep on Rollin' !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions