Marking spots in winter for summer digging

motodude

Greenie
Apr 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Our ground here is frozen solid with a few inches of snow and there is no digging this time of year. However, it made it possible for me to get to a location that would be much more difficult to reach in the summer. I got some solid hits. One VDI on my MXT Pro was 89. Had another at 78.

I want to mark all of these spots now so that I can go back and check them in the summer. I found one spot that just gave me a whisper and no VDI so it could be hard to relocate later. Right now I have an X marked in the snow.

I know flagging tape will work near a tree. I'm looking for suggestions on what to use in open spots. No way can I get a flag in the ground. So I'm thinking flagging tape on the nearest tree and than drop something larger and metal right on the spot I want to detect. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good sized washer with a roofing nail driven through it into the ground. You shouldn't have a hard time finding that. Also pace off the distance from a landmark to get you close when you come back.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Handheld GPS

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I use a 20D nail with surveyor tape on it..If they bend when you pound then in find a bigger nail...Art

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, big nail and some reflective hunters tape. Make is shine like fire when you hit it with a flashlight.

WM

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPS is wonderfully accurate these days. I have an app on my phone that lets me mark good hunting sites, parking locations, treasure finds, all within 10-15 feet the exact place I want to mark. I also have scanned areas when the ground was frozen. I have located good sites, while eliminating others. Time well spent when you can't actually dig. HD

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread