222.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 648

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is known that as long as the cambium (green) layer beneath the bark is not destroyed the bark will regenerate. A carving can be made in tree bark (shaving or chiseling) and sooner or later that bark will regenerate enough that the image will disappear. Nearly permanent markings can be made by blazing (removing the bark and cambium) and carving into the heartwood.

I say, keep looking. Good eye though. They will serve you well when you DO find something ;)

PS Seems like someone would have needed a ladder to get up there.

tree_blaze_1.jpg

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Gertie,
This heart is made at the same height and in the same fasion as your diamond on another tree.
I see nothing to indicate a sign on the third tree please enlighten me as to what it may be.

The first two were hurridly done and have completely healed over,
judging by the bark and the leaves available you are dealing with Ash trees.
Ash is fast growing and will heal itself qiute quickly, but the scar left will show for many many years .
These marks if large enough could have been left 80 to 100 years ago or more.
If there was anything inside the heart it has long been grown over and is a memory of the past.

I would need more signs to be able to say which of these signs is a first ina series ...
At this point logic tells me the heart came first and the diamond last in the series,
But I have no idea how close together thes are either.

The heart indicates either a declaration of love or a treasure.
The diamond (depending on how it was carved) would indicate a league or a portion of. ... 2.2 - 2.5 miles

Best I can do for now.
Hope you find more
, that would help. But for now you have a cool mystery.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
gertie, glad you posted pics of the leaves. the one on the left looks to be a mirror image of the leaves on four red oaks in my yard. the one on the right i have not seen before but thats not surprising as a book that my son owns claim that there is 40 different names of oaks. we have one here identified as a turkey oak. very beautiful leaves in the fall and the very last leaves to fall. take a few of those leaves to the old timers there and you can get i.d.. also in my yard i have a post oak and live oak and water oak. you will probably have a large spread there also. weekender might be able to name the one on the right.
according to what o.d. and you say, you will be traveling east to west. i would say use the heart to shoot the compass direction.
tenclaw

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread