Marshall County Ghost Towns

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Schroyer. A trading community between Marysville and Blue Rapids, named for the Shroyer family. A "c" was added by mistake on the sign for the depot, and the railroad refused to change it. About 7/10 mile north of Alcove Spring on the East River Road, Southwest Quadrant.

Three towns in Marshall County were levelled about 1960 to make way for the reservoir of the Tuttle Creek Dam, located 40 miles to the south. The townsites have rarely been under water since the dam was built.

Irving. Founded 1859. Best known because it was struck by two tornados in one day, in 1879. Leave a message in the mailbox near the marker if you like. Zenith and 12th Roads, Southwest Quadrant.

Bigelow. Founded 1881, noted for its stone quarries. Marker at Zenith and 17th Roads, Southeast Quadrant.

Barrett. Founded 1858. Site of the first sawmill in the area. Marker at 19th Terrace and Wildcat Road, Southeast Quadrant.

Southwest quadrant shaded

Attachments

• rving_1940.jpg
    rving_1940.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 552
  • SchroyerSign.jpg
    SchroyerSign.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,144
  • map_county_sw_shade.gif
    map_county_sw_shade.gif
    5 KB · Views: 1,123

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet my mother-in-law remembers those towns. She grew up at Waterville. They "moved" the town when they built the lake.

My wife remembers going to the old town with her mother to dig up some iris that people grew there. They moved a lot of houses and there were rock walls, sidewalks and stairs going nowhere.

There was a town called Clebourne (sp). It's in a marshy area at the end of the lake. The church had an old pipe organ. It was transported to Texas and was destroyed by vandals. My wife remembers seeing it when she was very young.

Jimmy

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
I have hunted Schroyer, I had high hopes of some good finds. I hunted 5 hours all I found was the front of a post office mail box, and some rusted iron.

ks_hunter

Feb 24, 2008
Wichita, KS Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Tesoro Tejon & 2 Banditos, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born and raised in Blue Rapids.. know all that area welll, but havent hit it yet.

ks_hunter

Feb 24, 2008
Wichita, KS Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Tesoro Tejon & 2 Banditos, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurehound,

I still think the fair grounds have some more relics to be found still. One day when I'm not so busy visiting family and frineds I will try my luck down there. I would like to find out who owns where the Show House was and hit that also. Always loved sledding down that hill and running our carts down it. My grandpa still owns where the Spook House was down there on Genessee so I'll hit him up to check that place also. So many places, so little time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread