Martin Van Buren Token

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hello all,

I wasn't even gonna post this but when I saw the Grant and Harrison tokens recently found I thought I would add this one to the Presidential race. :laughing7:

Found this last night in a farmer's field at about 5 inches....I believe it is from 1840-ish and I did find one example that sold last year online for $336.....The obverse says "Martin Van Buren & Democracy" and the reverse says "A uniform and sound currency/the sub treasury." Additional research tells me that these were purchased for 15 cents each back in the day.

Van Buren was born in Kinderhook, NY, about an hour from here and is buried there as well.....I'm a coin guy but gotta say this is pretty neat!

Congrats to the other token finders and HH all!

Greg

Attachments

• Van Buren Obv.png
    Van Buren Obv.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Van Buren Rev.png
    Van Buren Rev.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 23
OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Thanks for all the kind words!....sorry if I made it sound like this find wasn't good enough for me because it surely is.....would I have preferred an 1840 "coin" of any denomination?........well, yes.......do I see the significance of the find, of course!......all the way home I had to listen to my brother tell me that when I got it cleaned up I was gonna see that it said "Collect all 12 with your friends" or "50 cents off your next Happy Meal".....ahh, brothers....

HH all!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread