Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are large soapstone Indian quarries not far from here. I have visited them in the past. Anyway, this piece was found locally. It's about 10" across. It appears two ears for handles were started, and the roughing out was started, but never completed. Do you it's late Woodland period, contact period or something else? Thanks for looking. BTW soapstone and steatite are the same thing.

DSCN0454.JPG DSCN0455.JPG DSCN0456.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
I would think Soap Stone bowls are Archaic as the Woodland period introduced pottery which was much lighter and could be formed to many different shapes.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that’s an interesting bowl (to say the least). Whether it’s Soap Stone or Steatite (same thing?) the outside has a very granular look to it. But, the pecking and gouge markings on the inside tell the story of the material and workmanship.

Is it possible that it was utilized as is?

Wow!

Love to find one of those!

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a museum piece I wish I could find stuff that old here lol.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must confess I did not dig this one. Saw it dug and sort of stole it (actually a bribe). Being there is half the fun. Steatite and soapstone is the same mineral. I know where our quarries are around here and either copperhead infested or private property and off limits, although I have a friend who found 6 on his farm. The Indians were living near a spring there, and I can get permission to dig it this fall, I think.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must confess I did not dig this one. Saw it dug and sort of stole it (actually a bribe). Being there is half the fun. Steatite and soapstone is the same mineral. I know where our quarries are around here and either copperhead infested or private property and off limits, although I have a friend who found 6 on his farm. The Indians were living near a spring there, and I can get permission to dig it this fall, I think.
you should jump all over it! Just remember I am young enough and stupid enough to be good at manual labor if you need a hand!

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I show the local archaeologist soapstone bowl pieces he says they are Archaic time period and 2,000 to 6,000 years old. Would love to find a whole one like that one you have and would love to find the quarry they carved them from in my area. Amazing!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all are going to get sick over this, but the "bribe" was $50. I have another I found when I was a kid. Somewhere....it's with my banner gold coin I hid fall of 2017 and haven't found yet. It's here, somewhere.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin is here. I hid it from the carpet installers. I hid it REAL GOOD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions