• DIV 12 026.jpg
    DIV 12 026.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 238

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a keytag - intended to be included on a ring of keys to indicate the owner if it is lost. During the early half of last century, many fraternal groups used these as a fund-raiser. The supplier sold blanks in bulk and probably a set of letter/number dies to a local Odd Fellows, Elks, Masonic, or other lodge and somebody from within that organization would make these up to order for members who paid the lodge for them. I am sure there were other methods employed, but the majority of these keytags are from some social organization. Sometimes they are dated and some do not have anything but the name and address. Nearly all I have seen are made of "German silver" which is a nickel alloy to resist corrosion, but the thin nature of the tag often made for them wearing through at the attachment point. They are a growing special interest collection - I know of several token collectors who are trying to complete a "one per state" collection or who are after all they can from some particular state. The first half-dozen or so in my collection were purchased for 75¢ each at various antique stores, but the price went up and out of my range a few years ago with eBay giving sellers a much wider exposure.
John in ID

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Had a friend find something like this a couple months ago. PBK nailed it with a catalog page.
B M Ritchey Tag  _2 jpg-resize (2).jpg
B M Ritchey Tag  _2 jpg-resize (2).jpg

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 199

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread