Mass inflation ahead - Save your Nickels!

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read the books "Survivors" and "Patriots" by that author. While I don't expect our government to fail, it's still nice to be prepared.

Saving nickels is definitely a worthy investment as they're already valued below melt. Canadian nickels are even better when they were .999 fine from 1955 to 1981.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure if I agree with hoarding nickels at this time. If I had the cash to buy and hold investments I'm sure that I could find things with higher yields than the potential for nickels. Of course it is risk free and has good potential upside but I'm not going to buy $500+ in nickels and keep them stored. Perhaps when the nickel is debased I'll start keeping them but right now I think silver/gold are better at the moment.

Personally, I think that silver is vastly undervalued, especially in comparison to gold. Historically there has been very close to a 16 to 1 ratio of silver to gold. Today there is a ~51 to 1 ratio, it takes 51 ounces of silver to buy one ounce of gold.

mills84

Mar 3, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think that silver is vastly undervalued, especially in comparison to gold. Historically there has been very close to a 16 to 1 ratio of silver to gold. Today there is a ~51 to 1 ratio, it takes 51 ounces of silver to buy one ounce of gold.

Whether I believe so or not, it could just be that gold is currently overvalued.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read the books "Survivors" and "Patriots" by that author. While I don't expect our government to fail, it's still nice to be prepared.

Saving nickels is definitely a worthy investment as they're already valued below melt. Canadian nickels are even better when they were .999 fine from 1955 to 1981.
Our government has already failed. It's the economy that's tanking. You are right, it's good to be prepared.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread