Massive Clovis Preform found this past weekend

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a small knoll that produces some stuff once in a while and pow there it was. This beast is 6 3/8 long by 2 1/4 wide and made of either Hixon quartzite or a local variety of sugar Quartz. Pics do not do it justice, when light hits just right it sparkles like crazy and shows some beautiful paleo flaking. Looks like base was setup for fluting but never was. I've found a nice thumb nail scraper off site and last year found a massive clovis midsection. Have never found anything else on site except for an occasional flake and a few hammerstones. Hope you enjoy looking at as I did finding. image.jpg

Upvote 32

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why did you think it is a clovis?

OP
OP
scuba1970

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question.
Few reasons. Site demographics, found clovis midsection and paleo thumbnail scraper in same close area (100ft or less) and no other age relics ever found on hill. Classic early paleo knapping and form. I've been lucky enough to hunt a few clovis sites growing up and had one large site studied by the state archaeologists. This blade or preform is classic form to clovis materials from area. I've shown it already to one of the state archaeologists who recorded my other site and he also feels it's clovis material.

OP
OP
scuba1970

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome. If you google "clovis preform" pics there's a ton of pics of them out there and you can see the resemblance of all to this one. Looks like this one is mid stage, right before fluting.

The archaeologist who looked at it said it's also the largest he's ever seen in IL. It's huge.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man...thats a whomper !!!congrats

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find there! Bet it is nice to hold!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no need to mount on a spear--- just beat the enemy severely about his head. SMOKIN' COOL FIND

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an awesome find, I would love to find one for my collection of digs. Congrats.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question.
Few reasons. Site demographics, found clovis midsection and paleo thumbnail scraper in same close area (100ft or less) and no other age relics ever found on hill. Classic early paleo knapping and form. I've been lucky enough to hunt a few clovis sites growing up and had one large site studied by the state archaeologists. This blade or preform is classic form to clovis materials from area. I've shown it already to one of the state archaeologists who recorded my other site and he also feels it's clovis material.
I think it looks more like a Wadlow blade than Clovis....

"Wadlow Point

Chapman (1975:251-2) notes that Wadlow points are found primarily in Northeast Missouri. The diagnostic feature of this artifact is the fact that the blade is medium to long with edges that are either convex (out curving) or straight. Chapman notes that length ranges from 80 to 250 mm; thickness is ranges from 11 mm to 19 mm. Perino (1968:98) noted that the Wadlow points are often found in caches on blufftop sites. Chapman (1975:252) places this artifact type in the Late Archaic Period (3000 to 1000 BC). Morrow (1984:16) notes that Wadlow points are rare in Iowa and narrows their age to 2000 to 1000 BC."
http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/moarch/pp new/Wadlow.html

Here is Wadlow blade in my collection found on Il side of St Louis, it came from the collection of Tony Bakutis, VP IL. State Archology Society ..

3ede08cc51c5df2ef8834c9b8821026b.jpg

Last edited:

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super great find!! I was an avid arrowhead hunter before getting hooked on detecting and have been blessed to find a few paleo finds including one Clovis point. What a great feeling when you first feel it in your hands! And to imagine your hands were the first to touch it since the person who lost it thousands of years ago. Really cool. Congrats.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great find, it's huge! Ah it doesn't get any better than this finding something that old and still intact. Congrats, the memory will be there forever for you getting this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread