Massive Gold Hoard! Felt like Mel Fisher today!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last night I was cruising around the city in my truck in the freezing cold. Picking up junk every now and then at the curbs. I scored two garbage bags full of old vinyls, some boxes of household junk and a nice Italian vase - then at this big apartment building someone was tossing out everything! This is not an uncommon sight as many of the apartments are owned by very old people who live alone. So I'm guessing someone died and everything was being tossed out. All the furniture, all the pots and pans, all the small trinkets - most in black garbage bags. I tossed ten or so of the bags into the truck and called it a night.

This morning it was too cold to leave the house, so it wasn't until around 1pm that I went out and began sorting through all the junk. To make a long story short - this was the motherload of trash finds. Besides netting me a bunch of really cool antiques I scored a big gold hoard! I have never found this much gold at once ever before. The hoard consists of one large 14K gold ring, one hefty 14k gold chain-link bracelet, and one massive 18K gold bracelet. Nearly a grand of gold by weight! Combined it all weighs 30.7 grams! Holy smokes! :treasurechest::blackbeard: - Argh!

The hoard:
DSC08858.JPG DSC08837.JPG

The 14K gold ring:
DSC08851.JPG DSC08843.JPG

The massive 18K gold bracelet (Made by the Turkish gold smith "Atasay Kuyumculuk" - "AK"):
DSC08849.JPG DSC08839.JPG

The 14K gold bracelet:
DSC08855.JPG DSC08841.JPG

Wearing the gold:
DSC08847.JPG DSC08834.JPG

Upvote 41

Dirty Genu

Apr 5, 2013
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500 - AT Max - MXT All Pro - SOV GT - ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jumping Jesus.
Congrats many times over and over.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing. There are more people out there than you think there would be who know nothing about gold or jewelry. To them it probably just looked like big gaudy crap. Good for you for cleaning up their junk.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is quite a score! I just hope there aren't any grieving relatives that will be missing out on their families keepsakes.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang what a haul! I need to get me a Dump Truck, drive to New York City and cruise the streets for a few days looking for bags and other stuff being thrown out. I would haul it back to Tennessee, go through everything and all the leftover junk/trash would go the landfill here where it is free to dump as long as you are not a trash or refuse business. I may not score anything worthwhile but I would have better chances of hitting the jackpot than playing the dang Lottery games here!

Frank

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Beautifully crafted golden jewelry - Congrats! :hello2: If you decide to sell it, you may earn even more by selling it as jewelry instead of to the refinery. Andi

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautifully crafted golden jewelry - Congrats! :hello2: If you decide to sell it, you may earn even more by selling it as jewelry instead of to the refinery. Andi

Absolutely! With any older jewelry, it is always best to have it looked at by a jeweler for pricing before resorting to the spot price of the metal.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score.:thumbsup: It's actually illegal to do that here in the UK, you are not allowed to go through peoples trash.

SS

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!! woweee!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me wonder...
How much gold ends up in landfills every year.
Good save.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread