MASSIVE GOLD RING !

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yesterday, I talked Dad into getting here today at early dark O'Clock... That was so that we could make the tide, as we would be working backwards ... the tide was rising in the area that I wanted so badly to hunt.... I desperately needed to get there, before everything got sanded in after the Huricane......I hunted there the other day, but was absolutely drained from hunting in the wind all day, we called it a day, after 6 hours and over $25.00 in coins in the wet sand..... and to boot, they were mostly deep coins in the rocks.....it was brutal digging.....and for all of our effort, we scored 4 rings. 2 sterling, 1 small 10K Gold signet ring and a junker with a cubie in it.... Today was to be a different story....Dad being almost 82 years young, was having a little trouble walking all the way to my destination, so I stopped very short of the area I wanted to hunt.... we collected quite a few coins, but the cold north air was beating him up, so we headed to a smaller beach with the wind to our backs.... He stayed in the truck this round, and after about an hour, I hadn't much coins, but got a very nice sterling rope ring... Off to the place that held all the goodies.... tide was now out half way, and out of the truck we went. I said hello to an older guy out the water, he nodded and on his way he went... In about knee deep water, rite in back of the old gent, I pulled a huge 14K GOLD UNITED STATED NAVAL ACADEMY RING... dated 1977.... (No inscription other than the date inside 1977) It has 2 smaller diamonds ....one on each side of the ring....I couldn't get to Dad fast enough to show it to him... I think he said something like Holy @%$%* .... LOLOL This make 2 fantastic rings from this area this year... the other being with diamonds too... Got a few more coins, and another antique sterling ring with an enamel face, to make 3 rings for the day... Oh by the way, the ring weighs in at a whopping 30.2 GRAMS Thanks for looking... Happy Hunting Beach (2).JPG Beach (3).JPG Beach (4).JPG Beach (5).JPG Beach (6).JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 22

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
USNA Class of 1977

I find it hard to believe that the Cadet did not get his name or initials engraved in his ring. But I guess not everyone does. Still it's ironic that it was found in the water. The fact the Cadet was a Mason while at the Academy has to narrow the list of potential owners down quiet a bit.

But yeah, that's one sweet find. :occasion18:

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing ring. u just absolutely have killed it this year.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this ring desreves a bunch of banner votes -
this ring is 30+ grams
worth $30+ dollar a gram
its not only a pretty ring but a pretty big hunk of gold :icon_thumleft:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
nice find! In the last pic, there looks to be an inscription or initials inside the band. Could you take a pic of that? Maybe we could track down the owner - how cool would that be?

JClay

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. The one's I've seen are 10K - so if it's 14K that makes it all the better. Great find.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
testing123 said:
nice find! In the last pic, there looks to be an inscription or initials inside the band. Could you take a pic of that? Maybe we could track down the owner - how cool would that be?

That would be cool. Even thought it is worth some good money its worth more to a Marine or Navy officer that lost it. Especially around Veterans Day. They gave a lot up for us.

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be cool. Even thought it is worth some good money its worth more to a Marine or Navy officer that lost it. Especially around Veterans Day. They gave a lot up for us.

the gold content at that time was less than $50:icon_scratch:

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But priceless to that Officer.
Oh, yeah, priceless for sure. I just remember gold at $35 an ounce at the time. By 1980 I think it was in the hundred plus's.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o That is a awesome , what pic ?

Last edited:

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a awesome find ! I just think what the chances are to walk exactly where that ring was ? How few must be there its just crazy ! Did you play the lottery ? You have someone watching over you right now !

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one beauty of a ring.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats one beauty of a ring.:icon_thumleft:
On a GOLD ROLL buddy.....
This is a quote from a friend of mine... I hope he dosn't mind me using it...
"I never impose my views on anyone about returning items - to me its like religion or politics
you believe what you believe - and I have my beliefs - to each his own"....
On a further note: I have also returned rings over the past 42 + years.... sometimes it works out well.... and other times to be honest, it realy wasn't worth the effort... I am not in it for for profit, never have and never will... but a Thank You, would have been nice on a few occations... Like Casper said in one of his posts about returning rings "to each his own" and one last note: check out my Honerable Mention from earlier this year... I retuned a Platinum / Diamond Ring worth quite a bit.... That says it all as far as I am concerned........and if you look closely at the picture it has the date inside....Graduation Class 1977 ( NO NAME or Initials ) Hope this clears this matter up.....:BangHead:

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
:o That is a awesome , what pic ?

Maybe some kind of glitch or bandwidth restrictions caused it to be removed? Fortunately, not all was lost... here is the original image... doesn't seem to be as good of quality as the original, but looks like there is an inscription... Maybe an I or a T for the first initial?

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some kind of glitch or bandwidth restrictions caused it to be removed? Fortunately, not all was lost... here is the original image... doesn't seem to be as good of quality as the original, but looks like there is an inscription... Maybe an I or a T for the first initial?

Picture was removed by original poster, if a picture is removed from original post, please do not repost it without the owners permission.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow 30.2 ....That has to be a record...How cool would it be to find the owner from a date, a place, and A mason symbol. Great job!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So then why the issue with that picture if there is just a date in there?

Doesn't matter, its his find and his picture..... I know if I post a group of pictures then remove one because I don't like it or for what ever reason don't want to post it, I don't want someone else posting picture back....Its my find and my pictures.....

I never tell or post a picture of the inscription, someone could see the picture here and think they will try to claim it even though it isn't their ring because they can identify the ring and the inscription, its happen.............

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
But there is no inscription. So we already know everything about the ring 14k, 1977 etc. that's more than enough info for someone to try claiming it now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread