Matchbox / Hotwheels

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 - Standard coil & Super 12
I was MD'ing an old home (nobody has lived there for 30-40 years) and I got two solid VDI readings of +86 on my Whites M6. I dug both targets and each one was an old toy car?!?! Does anyone know if the paint on these old toy cars has silver in it? Has anyone else dug up toy cars and if so did they read as silver?

It was neat to find the cars, just would have been nicer to find actual silver coins.

TORPEDOX

Aug 23, 2007
Payette Id.
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT
most model cars are cast from Zinc alloys,,,,,"POT METAL"... and I believe the metal grain structure is similar to silver. I got roughly the same VDI readings with the couple of old cars I've found.
lets see some pics.
Its too cold and snowy to get out, where I live..... :'(

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DirkSears said:
I was MD'ing an old home (nobody has lived there for 30-40 years) and I got two solid VDI readings of +86 on my Whites M6. I dug both targets and each one was an old toy car?!?! Does anyone know if the paint on these old toy cars has silver in it? Has anyone else dug up toy cars and if so did they read as silver?

It was neat to find the cars, just would have been nicer to find actual silver coins.
i believe its the aluminum mine reads high when i find them too
i found two hot wheels today

BillyC

Jan 28, 2008
I actually enjoy finding hot wheels cars and such. I have 5 or 6 now, the silver is great but sometimes the old/newer toys are cool also.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
My Explorer always reads in the high good range on those cars. I have about 20 of them so far and they all read the same way.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
My ace250 would show quarter and halfs for hotwheels. found a 67 vette with it last year. to bad it was in bad shape, it was worth about 50 bucks on ebay. lol. I havent found a car yet with my Tesoro Cortez, but havent had a lot of practice with it due to the weather. TMAN...

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Hot wheels worth that much? Holy smokes, I have a ton of old ones that I played with back in the 80's that were hand me downs from my older brothers who started collecting them in the early 60s.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Cannonman17 said:
Hot wheels worth that much? Holy smokes, I have a ton of old ones that I played with back in the 80's that were hand me downs from my older brothers who started collecting them in the early 60s.
The original Red Lines can be worth hundreds or thousands if in the original packages. :o

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I wonder what those look like, I'll have to go research. I had the original case for a whole set, I think my son still uses it to hold cars. It was an awful plastic-like material with carboard inserts to make the compartments- can't remember what the date was on it... I think it was from the sixties, had pull out droors... when were these Red Lines you talk about made? Maybe I'm rich! LOL!

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I believe they were made between 68 and 1977. They are called redlines because of the red line on the tires. I know they remade some of these in the late 80s or 90s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread