Matched 2013 B Serial Number Star Notes

SnoopyDoo7669

Greenie
Dec 21, 2022
Las Vegas Nevada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, please keep us posted with the Heritage auction. Susan is very nice, I got to meet her last Month at a coin show in Las Vegas. She visited my Exhibit table where I had my 2013 B* Collection on display.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you getting a Great price! I’ve been hoping someone would take a pair to an auction house again, and get off eBay.

It will be interesting to compare your Auction results to the first auctioned pair by StacksBowers in August 2021.

You should do much better as there’s been well over a year for these pairs to have been learned about and discovered by more collectors. Back then Heritage was refusing to call them an Error also, and wasn’t interested in Auctioning a pair. Oh how times have changed:laughing7:

It’s amazing how many dealers still don’t know anything about them, that’s a head scratcher for me.

So excited for you!!!!!

SnoopyDoo7669

Greenie
Dec 21, 2022
Las Vegas Nevada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Possibly, but these were star notes carrying a small collector premium anyway. They were being disproportionately taken out of circulation in good condition by collectors before it became apparent that there had also been a duplication of serial numbers across the two printing locations.

Maybe the value will stabilise at a level that still gives a nice profit for those lucky enough to find them but it's unlkely it will be at the $25,000 dollar level being bandied around for a presumption that no more than a dozen or so will be tracked down. I wouldn't want to be one of the earlier purchasers at that kind of pricing. Currently it's a seller's market but each new pair found will erode that.
In October a pair sold on eBay for $25K, and coin world did an article on them.
Now Scott is going to have a pair auctioned by Heritage, that should be very interesting!
So many so called Currency Expert Dealers still don’t know about them, then when they learn about them they are either amazed, or they PooPoo them because they don’t have a pair, or because they Erroneously claim well there’s millions of these pairs out there so what’s the big deal, and they couldn’t be more wrong! The average lifespan of a $1 bill in circulation is 6.2 years and then they are pulled and destroyed. And any logical person would realize that after the BEP was forced to admit their mistake because of the FOIA filed on them, they would have sent word to all 12 FRB’s to pull and destroy any they haven’t distributed yet. Furthermore this Error wasn’t discovered till after they were all printed and distributed, thus only leaving what was in the wild already, to be found. Not to mention the difficulty of 1st finding one of the duplicated notes, then finding it’s exact match somewhere out in the world. The first pair ever sold, was mine, in August 2021 by StacksBowers (Hindsight it was too early to sell as most still don’t know or understand this error) To make that pair, I found one note in Alaska, I later found it’s match in a coin store in Germany, and it took months to acquire it back her in the United States. These are extremely rare to find, and will only get harder as time moves on. I do know what I’m talking about here, as I have the largest private collection of these notes that fall within the duplicated range (Not all 2013 B*’s were duplicated) in the World. That’s why I’ve been asked to Exhibit them (not for sale) at the last two Las Vegas National coin shows this year. I really want people to understand what a rare item Scott has, and the significant roll his pair will play for generations to come!! Even if someday there’s 50 pairs, having one of only 50 of anything is a collectors Dream!
Go Scott!!!!

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confirmation of Heritage receipt and sending to PMG.

Heritage submission.PNG

Best,

Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In October a pair sold on eBay for $25K, and coin world did an article on them.
Now Scott is going to have a pair auctioned by Heritage, that should be very interesting!
So many so called Currency Expert Dealers still don’t know about them, then when they learn about them they are either amazed, or they PooPoo them because they don’t have a pair, or because they Erroneously claim well there’s millions of these pairs out there so what’s the big deal, and they couldn’t be more wrong! The average lifespan of a $1 bill in circulation is 6.2 years and then they are pulled and destroyed. And any logical person would realize that after the BEP was forced to admit their mistake because of the FOIA filed on them, they would have sent word to all 12 FRB’s to pull and destroy any they haven’t distributed yet. Furthermore this Error wasn’t discovered till after they were all printed and distributed, thus only leaving what was in the wild already, to be found. Not to mention the difficulty of 1st finding one of the duplicated notes, then finding it’s exact match somewhere out in the world. The first pair ever sold, was mine, in August 2021 by StacksBowers (Hindsight it was too early to sell as most still don’t know or understand this error) To make that pair, I found one note in Alaska, I later found it’s match in a coin store in Germany, and it took months to acquire it back her in the United States. These are extremely rare to find, and will only get harder as time moves on. I do know what I’m talking about here, as I have the largest private collection of these notes that fall within the duplicated range (Not all 2013 B*’s were duplicated) in the World. That’s why I’ve been asked to Exhibit them (not for sale) at the last two Las Vegas National coin shows this year. I really want people to understand what a rare item Scott has, and the significant roll his pair will play for generations to come!! Even if someday there’s 50 pairs, having one of only 50 of anything is a collectors Dream!
Go Scott!!!!

Great post! :thumbsup:
However,
The BEP would have only recalled the notes sent to the New York Federal Reserve, right?
Thus limiting the total star "replacements" recalled as 1 of the 12. Reserve Districts? :icon_scratch:
And, further limiting the possibility by specific serial numbers?
Seems I have a winner! :hello2:

Be Well my Friends!

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

SnoopyDoo7669

Greenie
Dec 21, 2022
Las Vegas Nevada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The BEP would only recall the notes sent to the New York Federal Reserve, right?
Thus limiting the total star "replacements as 1 in 12. :icon_scratch:
And, further limiting the possibility by specific serial numbers?
I Don’t know if they would only recall notes to the New York FRB. If my understanding of the current printing process is correct, Orders for regular notes, go to that particular FRB for distribution. However, Star Notes are pre-printed and stand ready at the printing facility, to be used as needed for all regular note orders.
The old machines/process was the COPE, which stands for Currency Overprinting Processing Equipment. These were basically the old multi-stage printing press machines.
The new process LEPE, which stands for Large Examining Printing Equipment. These machines were specifically made for printing Currency and are bigger, faster, and combine some of the multi-steps of the old process. It can print 32 or 50 note sheets.
So, when notes are being printed in sheets, and a sheet or multiple sheets are found with issues, the machine pulls them for destruction, and the pre-printed Star Note (Replacement sheets) are inserted and the process keeps on moving. At the end, during the cutting process, there are pre-made packs/straps of replacement (Star Note)’s ready to be inserted into the process when the system detects a problem with a Strap, and nothing slows down, they are then stacked with 10 straps, shrink wrapped, then added to another bundle, and so on till a pallet is filled.
I guess my point is, Star notes are NOT replacing that exact serial number, only for that FRB, etc. and the left over Straps are also just bundled, pelleted and distributed, by ANY FRB. I have Straps (Packs) of 2013B*’s, that came out of a bundle (Brick) that was shrink wrapped and distributed to the Kansas City FRB, I kept the BEP label from the shrink wrap.
That’s why I think they asked all 12 to check and recall. But I’ve said this many times, I do not know for a fact that they issued a recall of any left over, undistributed notes, for destruction. I just think, that a reasonable assumption could be made, that after the FOIA request, drew light to their ERROR, they would have tried “Damage Control” and looked for any that hadn’t hit the public circulation market yet.
If anyone has more insight to this, or I’m wrong on something, please let me know. I’m just a fellow collector trying to learn as well.
Happy New Years Eve to all, be safe tonight!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don’t know if they would only recall notes to the New York FRB. If my understanding of the current printing process is correct, Orders for regular notes, go to that particular FRB for distribution. However, Star Notes are pre-printed and stand ready at the printing facility, to be used as needed for all regular note orders.
The old machines/process was the COPE, which stands for Currency Overprinting Processing Equipment. These were basically the old multi-stage printing press machines.
The new process LEPE, which stands for Large Examining Printing Equipment. These machines were specifically made for printing Currency and are bigger, faster, and combine some of the multi-steps of the old process. It can print 32 or 50 note sheets.
So, when notes are being printed in sheets, and a sheet or multiple sheets are found with issues, the machine pulls them for destruction, and the pre-printed Star Note (Replacement sheets) are inserted and the process keeps on moving. At the end, during the cutting process, there are pre-made packs/straps of replacement (Star Note)’s ready to be inserted into the process when the system detects a problem with a Strap, and nothing slows down, they are then stacked with 10 straps, shrink wrapped, then added to another bundle, and so on till a pallet is filled.
I guess my point is, Star notes are NOT replacing that exact serial number, only for that FRB, etc. and the left over Straps are also just bundled, pelleted and distributed, by ANY FRB. I have Straps (Packs) of 2013B*’s, that came out of a bundle (Brick) that was shrink wrapped and distributed to the Kansas City FRB, I kept the BEP label from the shrink wrap.
That’s why I think they asked all 12 to check and recall. But I’ve said this many times, I do not know for a fact that they issued a recall of any left over, undistributed notes, for destruction. I just think, that a reasonable assumption could be made, that after the FOIA request, drew light to their ERROR, they would have tried “Damage Control” and looked for any that hadn’t hit the public circulation market yet.
If anyone has more insight to this, or I’m wrong on something, please let me know. I’m just a fellow collector trying to learn as well.
Happy New Years Eve to all, be safe tonight!!!
This is my "Go To" site for Currency Production info.

Do you know of other sites?

Be Well!

Best,

Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

SnoopyDoo7669

Greenie
Dec 21, 2022
Las Vegas Nevada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, strictly on the topic of these Matched Pairs, you might find the below link interesting, scroll down to the table of contents, and an article called, “A Cosmic Error You Have To Look To The Stars For!”

I know it’s corny, but you may like it😉

I like using Dave’s web site for note information too, “My Currency Collection” or Star Note Lookup, it’s all the same site with good info.

So which Auction are your notes going to be in, I know lots of people who want to watch and root you on!!! Like StacksBowers, Heritage has numerous Auctions.
I’m dying to see how they write it up, present it, categorize it, and most importantly how are they marketing it? StacksBowers Give a Low Value Appraisal, then list opening Bid at 60% of that number. How is Heritage going to establish your valuation and opening bid price? They only have that one StacksBowers sold price to use, which is what 18 months old, and it was the first and nobody knew about them. I hope they Market yours way higher, now that more have started to learn. Can’t wait to get your next update!!!

I read your fun contest rules, but I’m not real knowledgeable on using this site, do we just post a guess here?
I want to see how Heritage sets this all up before I make my guess.😉

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Scott,

We wanted to let you know that your consignment in the 2023 May 3 - 5 CSNS Currency Signature® Auction #3592 is now being photographed and cataloged. This is an ongoing process, and you can view the most up-to-date photos and descriptions as they are updated.
--------------------------

Best,

Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heritage Auctions
Dear Scott,

Your consignment is now being entered into our 2023 May 3 - 5 CSNS Currency Signature® Auction.

This auction is currently scheduled to open for bidding on 04-14-2023. At that time, you will receive an email with a special link to just your lots, which you can post on social media and relevant chat groups or forward to anyone you think might be interested in bidding.

Please note: Your lots may not have images and descriptions yet. New lots, images, and descriptions will be added daily as the auction posting date approaches.

Susan Bremer
Consignment Director
----------------------------------------------------------------

Best,

Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Contest is now open!
Guess for FREE and you might win!

You will also see new posts related to the Action at this thread.

Best Wishes to All!

Scott

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snoopydoo, your post was deleted, our rules only allow charter members to sell or post links to their sales. Also, violates rules to hijack someone's sale thread to try to sell their merchandise.

I know you are new and may not be aware of our rules....

SnoopyDoo7669

Greenie
Dec 21, 2022
Las Vegas Nevada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh my, well that certainly was not my intention!!
I’ve been supporting his separate upcoming sale with Heritage Auction House, and I had set one elsewhere, in an effort to help establish legitimate sales prices of these rare pairs, outside eBay where it appears some manipulations are taking place.
Best wishes to all!

Absolutely was NOT trying to hi-jack anything, just post other info.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been supporting his separate upcoming sale with Heritage Auction House, and I had set one elsewhere, in an effort to help establish legitimate sales prices of these rare pairs, outside eBay where it appears some manipulations are taking place.
Best wishes to all!

No problem, like I said you are new and not aware. We are good..👍

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes to all!

All is cool with me, also.
You can still make a FREE guess on the "Contest" thread when you like.

The sooner the better?

Be Well!

Scott

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What lot # have they given to your bills?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions