material id please

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stumbled upon this on the path to the gauley river put in below summersville dam in wv. any idea on material? thanks! IMG_2304-1.jpg IMG_2305.jpg IMG_2306.jpg

Upvote 0

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
This may help. From "The People Of The Stone" by Tom Kuhn.

WEST VIRGINIA: In general, two types of cherts are named from West Virginia sources. The most common and widespread of these materials is the well-known KANAWHA BLACK. Not even a chert, these are large depositional materials of layered non-limestone related materials. They are exclusively black, and often large tools will reveal significant whitish cortex. Often deposited by the prehistoric Teays River system throughout the central Ohio Valley/West Virginia region as large cobbles of irregular size and shape, the chippable black material is only revealed upon breaking into the whitish deposits. Additionally, extremely large blocks, often weighing several tons, can be found in the tributaries of the upper Kanawha River above Charleston, WV such as Campbell's Creek and Paint Creek. However, this material is generally of poor quality for chipping. Only the extremely weathered material that had been exposed for thousands of years was selected by Native American flintknappers. Sometimes the best of this material is quite glossy when flaked, but other samples indicate attempts to improve the workability by firing, with some redness revealed. However, firing does not seem to bring the glossiness or color range, due to the absence of pyrites and other inclusions. While useful to prehistoric peoples because of its widespread distribution and easy availability, it is of generally poor quality and difficult to work. The texture is reminiscent of slate or basalt, however, and it does produce a quality sharp edge when flaked. I have, however, seen excellent Early Archaic and even Paleo-Indian pieces of this material, indicating a high degree of competence on the part of those early flintknappers, as well as an intimate knowledge of the few good sources of this widespread material.. Another type of less common flint from central and eastern West Virginia is the LEWISBURG FLINT. This is a gray material similar in color and texture to the Onandaga described above, and is often misidentified as such. However, it is generally more of a cobble deposited chert with a quite grainy and difficult to flake nature, unless obtained directly from the few eastern WV deposits. - See more at: FINDING THE FLINT: Identifying the Source Can Be Both Helpful and Easy to Do | The People of the Stone

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your material looks the same as what these Hoes are made from and we call it Ironstone. I believe it is actually called Waverly Sandstone.

Attachments

• 100_6716.jpg
    100_6716.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_6717.jpg
    100_6717.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_6718.jpg
    100_6718.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 92

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Well... I'll have nightmares tonight. You must have big cahones to go down the Gauley. I nearly met the Reaper at pillow rock, and I'm not talking about Steve V. Either! You found some nice stuff there. I wish I could help you with the lithic. I don't know how often they open the dam at the head of the river, be careful!! I'm serious.

OP
OP
reuellis

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep, the gauley aint no joke! we have a place on summersville lake so i am there often. when you hear the siren for a release you get up the bank, quickly....

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me think of Mockingjay (which sucked, IMO) where they stormed the dam, set explosives, then exited the way they came. ON THE DOWNSTREAM SIDE. Idiots!

AmericanNINJA

Apr 27, 2023
This may help. From "The People Of The Stone" by Tom Kuhn.

WEST VIRGINIA: In general, two types of cherts are named from West Virginia sources. The most common and widespread of these materials is the well-known KANAWHA BLACK. Not even a chert, these are large depositional materials of layered non-limestone related materials. They are exclusively black, and often large tools will reveal significant whitish cortex. Often deposited by the prehistoric Teays River system throughout the central Ohio Valley/West Virginia region as large cobbles of irregular size and shape, the chippable black material is only revealed upon breaking into the whitish deposits. Additionally, extremely large blocks, often weighing several tons, can be found in the tributaries of the upper Kanawha River above Charleston, WV such as Campbell's Creek and Paint Creek. However, this material is generally of poor quality for chipping. Only the extremely weathered material that had been exposed for thousands of years was selected by Native American flintknappers. Sometimes the best of this material is quite glossy when flaked, but other samples indicate attempts to improve the workability by firing, with some redness revealed. However, firing does not seem to bring the glossiness or color range, due to the absence of pyrites and other inclusions. While useful to prehistoric peoples because of its widespread distribution and easy availability, it is of generally poor quality and difficult to work. The texture is reminiscent of slate or basalt, however, and it does produce a quality sharp edge when flaked. I have, however, seen excellent Early Archaic and even Paleo-Indian pieces of this material, indicating a high degree of competence on the part of those early flintknappers, as well as an intimate knowledge of the few good sources of this widespread material.. Another type of less common flint from central and eastern West Virginia is the LEWISBURG FLINT. This is a gray material similar in color and texture to the Onandaga described above, and is often misidentified as such. However, it is generally more of a cobble deposited chert with a quite grainy and difficult to flake nature, unless obtained directly from the few eastern WV deposits. - See more at: FINDING THE FLINT: Identifying the Source Can Be Both Helpful and Easy to Do | The People of the Stone
Where can I look for the lewisburg flint? I live in western greenbrier county.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Where can I look for the lewisburg flint? I live in western greenbrier county.
Again another old post but maybe he will respond I believe he still is here once in a while. If you are interested in knapping material maybe try that forum listed above

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread