Maui Find

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
I found this this past weekend and have debating whether to put it on this site or not. It is a stone skull that I found while bottle digging that was caught under some tree roots. I found it in one of the most ancient areas on Maui. There are ancient stone walls all over the area I found it. I have searched online and have found nothing that looks quite like it, it looks to be solid stone all the way through and the craftmanship is unreal. Looks really life like, if it wasn't for the fact that it's the size of an infants skull with teeth we would of thought it was real. We are speculating that due to where it was found it may have been carved as a warning skull by ancient Hawaiians towards other warring tribes. The fact that it looks so real and old makes me think who ever carved it was looking at a real skull. My wife and also think it would be about the right size as a Menehune skull but all this is speculation. We are in contact with the Maui Historical Society to date it and waiting as we speak for their reply. It may turn out to be a prop but what a prop that was made with amazing skill.
001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

Upvote 8

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SPOOKY FIND !!

But very cool..hope it turns out to be something special

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very cool awesome find. Please keep us updated on what you find out.

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, it really is realistic with the suture pattern. A lot of ancient Hawaiian sites are kapu (taboo) for religious reasons so you may want to donate it to the historical society to avoid any bad karma. It would also be great to be able to share your find with the public. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
L

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
Talked to the Maui Historical Society and so far from the pictures they are baffled. They are getting the right people in place and will be contacting me in a couple of days. It will either be an Ancient Artifact or a really good novelty prop. Anyhow I will keep you updated.

OP
OP
L

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
This was private property and I was with the owner. So I had permission. So if is an Ancient Artifact it will either go back to where it needs to go back or it will go to the Museum.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Husker I was going to mention that Brady Bunch episode. lldein if the historical society can't figure it out, give Scott Wolter a call, he was just there on a America Unearthed episode looking for an ancient race of midgets.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Intrigued about what the officials/museum will have to say. In any case, that is definitely not something we see posted here.....

OP
OP
L

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
One more thing I'd like to add , that is a screw top Castoria bottle behind it that I found that day a little smaller than six inches. Thanks for the comments everyone.

OP
OP
L

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
update, waiting to hear from Scott Wolter on possibly taking a look at it, he said he has never seen anything like it. Historical Society was going to take it from me, so it will go back same place I found it but can be retrieved by me if need be. Also waiting on oddities & obscurities from Science channel and they may be interested. My goal is to find out how old and if it is really carved out of stone and what it was used for. This is most likely not Hawaiian because our research shows these type of carvings were never found in Hawaiian History. At this point just don't know.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder why there would be stitches on a stone skull ? Maybe more items can be dug up at the same site. I would like to see Scott Wolter do some digging and make new finds instead of being the thousandth person to examine a old item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread