Mayan axe ?

hondu2

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2007
Honduras
Hi everyone,
I,m new but have been reading the posts here for a while. I live in Honduras but am from the states. I don't have much time to use my detector because I work most of the time, and the safety factor here in Honduras. While digging my septic tank for my house I found somthing interesting. It was damaged a little by a pic-axe but is in fair shape. The locals say it is a Mayan axe head. I don't know if it is or not. I tried to post pictures the other day, and it said my entry was to big. I will try again. In the pics it looks black but is really dark green. I had to crop the photos so the ruler got cut out. It is 4 1/4 inch long, and maybe 2 inches high and about 1 inch thick.
HH

Attachments

• Imagen 219_edited.jpg
    Imagen 219_edited.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 676
  • Imagen 217_edited.jpg
    Imagen 217_edited.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 720
Upvote 0

folkert

Feb 10, 2004
Germany
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero Germany
It is indeed an axe head and it reminds me very much to the neolithic axe heads (5500-2200 BC) which we find here in Middle Europe. A very nice find!!!

Eupho17

Mar 10, 2007
If it's made from obsidian (which it sounds like it is), you likely have the real deal there. Congratulations! Careful- those suckers are still sharp.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from the photo :P but it looks like a ground stone axe. Could be Mayan or could be earlier. Ground stone can be any hard material and would be smoothed to form the blade. Obsidian axes would have flakes removed all over to make the blade. Here are some examples of ground stone for you to look at. It would need to be looked at by a Mayan archaeologist to tell if it is Mayan.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 908

Eupho17

Mar 10, 2007
I know just the guy. Would a professor of Mayan history at a well-known public university suffice?

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Mayan history professor would probably have a very good idea. Nice find by the way, but I'd check out the local laws before trying to remove it from the country.

Good luck and HH

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Looks just like the celts found up here in the states. You know, I watched something on Discovery or History Channel, one of those educational channels. They did a documentary on a tribe that had very little contact with the outside world. A guy went to live with them to see if he could survive with their teaching out in the jungle. They let him use their axe to cut down trees to make fish traps or something. They looked just like that. The axe heads were passed down from generation to generation so far back they couldn't remember where they came from.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live off and on in El Salvador and have found several that I don' t have the pictures of right now because I am in Florida at this time. There are things everywhere down there and just like here very few people are interested in the "junk." Here are some pics of a few of my finds. Most of the stuff is obsidian, there are two ground stone axe heads (?), and a painted piece of pottery that was found beside a sidewalk in front of everybody. I will post more pictures later. I have an axe head just like that one, I'll post the picture when I find it. They are made out of some kind of green stone from the region.

Attachments

• es4.jpg
    es4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 370
  • es.jpg
    es.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 278
  • es1.jpg
    es1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 298
  • es2.jpg
    es2.jpg