Mayan ruins In Honduras...Center of mysterious civilization

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sep 8, 2006 — TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras (Reuters) - Experts are examining the ruins of a pre-Columbian culture in an area of Honduras where there had been no previous evidence of major indigenous civilization.

The site, discovered earlier this year, consists of 14 mounds that form part of what are believed to be ceremonial grounds, the Honduran Institute of Anthropology said.

"They are part of a very important site, a governing center of a pre-Columbian civilization," Oscar Neils, the institute's head of research, told Reuters. "We had no idea that there was a pre-Columbian culture in this area."

The findings so far include an impressive carved stone monument, called a stela, as well as necklaces and grinding stones.

"The stela is a sculpture of various human and animal forms and is truly amazing in how well conserved it is," Neils said.

Three feet (1 meter) high and more than 4-1/2 feet (1-1/2 meters) wide, the stela is being displayed in the park of the nearby town of Moroceli, about 30 miles east of the capital of Tegucigalpa.

Neils said the site has been damaged by tractors involved in sugar cane growing, prompting Honduras' Culture Ministry to move to protect it.

Honduras is home to some 14,000 archeological sites, including world-famous Copan, which flourished between the fifth and ninth centuries and was one of the first Mayan sites to be excavated.

This site is completely distinct, Neils said.

"Its culture is an enigma," added the Mexican archeologist
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2412852

Upvote 0

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for the post Gypsy. It really is amazing to me when I hear the garbaaaage that comes out of the mouth of some Archaeologists. If it's in the area of Tegucigalpa there are so many Olmec and Mayan sites it's staggering. Unfortunately they are to small to warrent any grant money and my guess is that's what this guy is looking for. It will be interesting to follow this site if they let him continue working it. That will only happen if the grant money is forthcoming.
Have a good one!!
Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread