Maybe a collection of the dumb things we do while metal detecting.....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Duh....

Yesterday I hit the soil carrying my brand new tack puller for popping targets out of the ground with minimumal turf damage:

index.jpg

Somewhere in that grass I lost my tack puller, covered all the ground (apparently not ALL), and couldn't find it - even with my detector....

So, duh.......

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes you wonder what your missing doesn't it? [emoji4]

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunting a park I get a inquiry from a nice couple sitting on a nearby bench. I engage them in conversation and instantly hit it off with both husband and his wife. In the course of conversation I burried the sampson's blade into the soil. Conversation ends at dusk and we all leave the park for our homes.

Two days later I'm preparing for a hunt when I can't find the sampson. Disgusted with myself I decide to go to the last park I detected and check if it's by chance still there. Driving down the road, passing the park where I had the conversation two days prior (2nd to last park I detected), I happen to glance over, and from the road I catch glimpse of something by the bench. My sampson?

Walked the 200 yards through the park to get to the bench and there it is! Blade burried to the shaft as I did, yet moved right next to the bench where I did not leave it. UNBELIEVABLE! What luck!

Yes, I carelessly left my Sampson in a public park for 48 hours, and even though someone else had obviously found, and moved it, it still remained. Best item I've ever lost and found.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Before going wireless...headphone cables were getting torn up too often.
One set caught in spokes on a hill , o.k. , that can happen. (Same hill climb with a couple rests and across the field atop a good signal....but no recovery tool:BangHead:.
Back down the hill again, and beyond ,to recover the recovery tool.)

Stabbing dried earth on a recovery I saw the cable on the next set of headphones ,but not in time to stop the chop.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Before going wireless...headphone cables were getting torn up too often.
One set caught in spokes on a hill , o.k. , that can happen. (Same hill climb with a couple rests and across the field atop a good signal....but no recovery tool:BangHead:.
Back down the hill again, and beyond ,to recover the recovery tool.)

Stabbing dried earth on a recovery I saw the cable on the next set of headphones ,but not in time to stop the chop.

Oooh that bites! I can't count the number of times I have lost my pinpointer but what beats all is the time I buried my side digger in a hole. I had just great loose dirt that I swept it all back into the hole with my hand and it was dark so I didn't see it hiding in there.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done lots of dumb things while metal detecting. One of those things would be crawling into a tight cave i was not familiar with and getting into a life threatening situation. Long story short...about 100 pounds of rock let loose on top of me when my back pack grazed against the ceiling. It was very tight and i had no partner. Took me about 30 min to back out of the hole pushing big rocks as i went along.

Another would be carrying live ordinance, slipping down a 40 foot embankment and watching the ordinance roll down the hill along side me. Not a good feeling.

Oh well...lesson learned and i lived to see another day.

all 623.jpg

all 625.jpg

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I lost my wedding ring for the third time while digging and still can't find it.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my wedding ring for the third time while digging and still can't find it.

LOL...i guess we have to give a little to take a little.

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How many of you have done like me and be wearing a ring under my glove and wave the pinpointer
over a fistful of sand/dirt trying to see if you grabbed the target? ��

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, I think the life-and limb ones are the best "dumb things" moments, but my personal moment of awesomeness, was going out detecting after a run for fried food at a questionable establishment.

I knelt down to recover a find, and felt a little pressure. No harm releasing a little pressure, right? Nobody was around to hear. So... I ended up sitting on my waders on the way home to avoid soiling the truck seat. I stood in a trash bag while removing the offending articles. Everything was thrown away.

That's all I'm going to say about that. Oh, and I found $0.41.

Skippy

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, I think the life-and limb ones are the best "dumb things" moments, but my personal moment of awesomeness, was going out detecting after a run for fried food at a questionable establishment.

I knelt down to recover a find, and felt a little pressure. No harm releasing a little pressure, right? Nobody was around to hear. So... I ended up sitting on my waders on the way home to avoid soiling the truck seat. I stood in a trash bag while removing the offending articles. Everything was thrown away.

OH, THAT JUST STINKS! :laughing7:

Wait till you get to be an old fart! :occasion14:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did the same and by the time I got to my truck I dropped my pants pulled off my shorts and used a an old towel that was way to rough but at least I made it home

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done a few of the above!!! :laughing7:Also, Steel toe shoes,forget batteries,etc... The dumbest thing and I do it to this day....Is that I'm still using the old headphones with the wire, depending on where I hunt the wire gets snagged on limbs and whatever else. I don't know how many times Iv'e ripped the headphones off or even the earbuds I use at times. Lay the detector down, go to move, and rip them right off.(I'm kind of a hyper person so I move around quick when there "might" be something good in the ground!!!) or jerk the detector a few feet..You would think I would lengthen the cord or go to something cordless! NOPE! What would I have to complain or swear about when detecting then? :laughing7: That's probably the dumbest thing I continue to do when there is such a simple fix..

Your digger or poker? I use old screwdrivers..I like them kind of blunt so they don't have a sharp point. Out of everything I've used that works best for me unless the target is deep.. But for parks or schools they work great since most stuff is close to the surface......it sucks you lost your new tack puller!!

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dumbest thing I did, was let some random lady take possession of a silver ring that I found, so she could return it to the previous-previous owner of a permission. She dangled a carrot in front of me, promising permissions of other places she owned, if I "did the right thing", buy giving her the ring. As soon as the ring hit her hand, she says, well, I have to ask my husband, but he will say no, so sorry...:BangHead: FAIL!

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Duh....

Yesterday I hit the soil carrying my brand new tack puller for popping targets out of the ground with minimumal turf damage:

View attachment 1334603

Somewhere in that grass I lost my tack puller, covered all the ground (apparently not ALL), and couldn't find it - even with my detector....

So, duh.......

Did you check your finds bag and pockets?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I was detecting. I got a strange feeling. Found out what it was. As I looked down A SNAKE was staring back at me through the coil.!!!! :dontknow: I got home ASAP and thoroughly washed every single inch of my detector and ALL my gear to rid them of the EVIL snakes possess. I then went and had my detector and ALL of my gear ReConsecrated by a Priest less than 45 minutes after washing them. Snakes are my BIGGEST Terror literally. I had the shakes for 2 weeks after that but I new I was Blessed again. God, I hate snakes :angry5:. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions