Maybe a Small Civil War Camp Site

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started the day early and took my daughter out kayaking, it was her first time. It was still early and nice out, so I grabbed my gear and went out into the woods. I dug a lot of shotgun shells and finally got a dropped 3 ringer at the top of a hill. A few feet away, another one. Game on. I started working my way around the top of the hill and found a spot that was full of melted lead, probably 4 or 5 bullets worth. On the one side of the hill I found the 2 buttons along with the pistol bullet. I found a total of 12 bullets. I put in about 3 hours and it really started heating up, so I called it quits. I will go back tomorrow morning and see if anything else pops out.

Woods.jpg Lizard.jpg Had a little friend helping out.

Button.jpg New York.jpg New York coat button, cleaned up nicely

Button Back.jpg Button Front.jpg Train.jpg Found this about 5 feet from the New York button. I did some searches on the Web, but wasn't able to find one just like this one. Anyone seen this one before?

Melted.jpg Bullets.jpg Key.jpg Found the top half of a key, wish I could have found the rest of it, I love these keys.

Pistol Bullet1.jpg Pistol Bullet.jpg This pistol bullet has something stamped on the bottom, under a magnifier it looks like a flower or a star?

Group.jpg Wood Bullet.jpg One of the bullets I found was stuck in wood, I peeled one side off to expose it.

Thanks for looking, HH.

Upvote 21

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's not to luv about Virginia . The entire State was practically a campsite during the Civil War .
That is a plus when you have an interest in CW era of history . You are extremely fortunate to hunt the Great State of Va.
Keep exploring !

CMD

Yep, you took the words right out of my mouth.
I would love for someone to show me a part of Virginia that wasn't touched by the Civil War.
Great hunt Jacob,, and many happy returns with future finds.
Congrats

Last edited:

RebelYeller

May 6, 2014
Toano, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,
Tesoro Tejon,
White's VX3,
White's TRX,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
XP Deus, XP Deus 2, XP MI-6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great stuff man! Congrats! I found the exact same NY button last year near Yorktown, VA

IMG_20160714_192304.jpg

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I'm thinking "Picket Post " Or Very short term camp. Then again What do I know.
Always love seeing those 150+ y/o Drop's & The NY is Sweet & looks Complete.

More there ill, bet go low & Slow.

P.S. that is an interesting Mark on the pistol bullet, Imo Could be from anything ....Intentional & a Mark that just happens to look like a star or Flower. Oh Train Button is a keeper & nice tho it's Post Civil War.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread