Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm not so good

Any who have been following my "exploits", know about my walks around the mansion.

Today, same as others, I just wanted to go back to a happy place. I've said many times
that this place's targets get fewer and fewer but, I swear, maybe it ain't that at all. Maybe it's just that
I am NOT as good a hunter as I think.

Not much:

2015 (553).jpg
2015 (554).jpg
2015 (555).jpg
2015 (556).jpg

Anyway, I went across an area that I absolutely KNOW
I've been back and forth across at least a hundred times!!

Sooooo.... How did I miss this?

2015 (551).jpg 2015 (552).jpg

Clean signal, some minor iron in the background, about 6 inches down. :dontknow:
Who knows!!?

Anyway, this is what I started with but it cleaned up well.

2015 (557).jpg 2015 (558).jpg

2015 (559).jpg
2015 (560).jpg

Oh well, all's well that ends well, :dontknow:

Thanks for peeking!

2015 (24).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 11

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what you mean when it comes to finding something in an area you've previously searched well. A few years back I went back over a small piece of ground that I'd covered dozens of times from every possibly angle. Literally dozens of times. This time I got a light signal and I dig. So what did I find Whadifind? An 1811 Large Cent! I guess that's what makes this such a fun hobby, its so darned unpredictable.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a Canadian large cent? Looks like a reins guide too? I am sure one day nothing at all will be found at the mansion. I hope that day stays away for awhile because I know how much you like that place.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you cleaned out the trash that was masking a few of those items. I have gone over sites that I only used the big 12" x 15" coil and pulled more goodies by switching back to the stock DD coil. I now plan on hunting new sites with the stock coil on the 1st grid and swap out to the large coil for the second grid.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BLINGIE AND FISHY SAY YOU ARE A STAR IN THERE HEART .. NICE FINDS , I HAVE BEEN OVER MY YARD SO MANY TIMES THAT THERE ARE HOLES ON TOP OF HOLES AND ALWAYS SEEM TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE .. EVEN ROCKS ARE COLLECTABLES ANYMORE.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a Canadian large cent? Looks like a reins guide too? I am sure one day nothing at all will be found at the mansion. I hope that day stays away for awhile because I know how much you like that place.

No, it's a Queen Vic. 1900 , sorry about that, I forgot to post the cleaned pics.

Ya know, if someone could prove to me that there are absolutely no more finds there, I'd still be walking the grounds. I think I'm gonna haunt that place one day. ;)

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day I found an 1871 sugar spoon next to a basketball court I have been over at least 10 times. I also know that other guys have worked that area often in the hopes of a recent jewelry drop. Sometimes I think it is that the ground conditions change enough to be able to see targets better on some days than others. Second having an F5, I think that small adjustments on my detector on the setup can make a big difference. I also am realizing, that I am more likely to dig an iffy signal at the start of a hunt, than I am towards the end. (Fatigue) Plus I am better at using my detector the more experience I get using it. I still have a lot to learn.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding items in an area we have hunted over & over, happens to most of us. I know it has happens to me & my hunting partner. All you have to do is walk over that same spot from a different angle, or have different moisture/dry soil conditions & bam - you found something you missed on an earlier trip. We will sometimes hit places 5 or 6 times just to make sure. Glad you did find that Large Cent.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I found an 1871 sugar spoon next to a basketball court I have been over at least 10 times. I also know that other guys have worked that area often in the hopes of a recent jewelry drop. Sometimes I think it is that the ground conditions change enough to be able to see targets better on some days than others. Second having an F5, I think that small adjustments on my detector on the setup can make a big difference. I also am realizing, that I am more likely to dig an iffy signal at the start of a hunt, than I am towards the end. (Fatigue) Plus I am better at using my detector the more experience I get using it. I still have a lot to learn.

I have found those last two reasons to be the most true. I have to tell myself to go home some days. For you see, I've also learned that when I'm tired, my digging gets a little looser too. So, before I gouge that 1916-d Mercury dime, I quit. ;)

I'm wondering about that bullet shell too. I don't know ammo but that shell seems a bit strange.

"Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!"

Last edited:

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the little gnome. We always thought the British had a "home guard", now we know what all those hedgerows are for, hiding the "Gnome guard".

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! Great finds! You are definitely going home tonight!

Besides the moisture level of the ground and other factors, there may also be the electoral magnetic discharge in the ground enhancing the signal at times, weirder theories abound.
Being tired is a big one for me, shuts down everything, including my good sense!

Maybe the gnome was guarding treasure? Go back!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! Great finds! You are definitely going home tonight!

Besides the moisture level of the ground and other factors, there may also be the electoral magnetic discharge in the ground enhancing the signal at times, weirder theories abound.
Being tired is a big one for me, shuts down everything, including my good sense!

Maybe the gnome was guarding treasure? Go back!

I've been thinking about that large penny. Look at all the shhhtuff on the before pics. I
bet that has something to do with the "missing" of things. :)

Thanks!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...
It works like this...
I am convinced of it.

Different days are just that... Different .
Meaning... the day you were there before all elements could be different before.
The soil...
The moisture in the soil... effecting conductivity...
The topsoil's wetness or dryness...
The depth of the soil from object may have changed slightly due to erosion or soils change...
The magnetic field of the earth...
The electric in the air...
AND...
Most importantly... The detector on that day versus the last time...
Which can be a variant of wide proportions.
Settings... battery power... level of coil from ground... etc etc etc.

Prime example... the famous field horde... many detectors including the guy who found it had combed that very field...
But that day... whamo.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its the treasure gods...if they think you dont have it coming...bam..skunked or worse,you get a taste so you work harder.Then after a long night of treasure god partying and debochery they ease up a bit and let stuff be found.

this is my story,it explains all,and I'm sticking to it..:occasion14:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...
It works like this...
I am convinced of it.

Different days are just that... Different .
Meaning... the day you were there before all elements could be different than the time before.
The soil...
The moisture in the soil... effecting conductivity...
The topsoil's wetness or dryness...
The depth of the soil from object may have changed slightly due to erosion or soils change...
The magnetic field of the earth...
The electric in the air...
AND...
Most importantly... The detector on that day versus the last time...
Which can be a variant of wide proportions.
Settings... battery power... level of coil from ground... etc etc etc.

Prime example... the famous field horde... many detectors including the guy who found it had combed that very field...
But that day... whamo.

I completely agree with you and after all my years I could add quite a few more variables to the mix. Like a piece of iron that finally completed it's rusting away between visits. Was masking now it's somewhat gone, or a piece of foil/can slaw that was on top got moved by the mower, or even I had a big sneeze and once it was over my pattern took a "Z" around my normal back and forth path. ;)

But, this one, was really strange to me. You see, I have been at it long enough to know just how many different things play into the mix. And I have been back and forth across this exact same patch of ground literally dozens of times. There was some minor background iron a lot deeper under this target. But the target wasn't very deep. It rang up high enough to be one I would always consider, (65-72 in the ground, air tests now at 74-75), and I ALWAYS hunt with batteries at full power, (all the bars on the meter anyway).

I know there are many, many variables in play on this. Just, this one stood out, a bit. :)

Thanks!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool old find! I wonder the same thing. Go back to a location after a few months and hit an area I thought we had cleaned out; and bam; a nice coin or relic that leaves me asking the same question. "How did we miss this"???:icon_scratch:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where can I get a Mansion? It looks like so much fun!

congrats on finding the large Vicky

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can I get a Mansion? It looks like so much fun!

Well, it's really just another "permission". Albeit, a dreamlike one. It's like you've been transported
back to a time that we usually only read about. A large park! With exclusive permission to search
anywhere you feel like.

Even when there are no finds, I stop for a breather and look around at the buildings/trees/lawns and
I feel like a kid in a candy store. It is just soooooo peaceful there!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys left out the MoJo Bag and the Lucky Rabbit's Foot.
I have a few parks that are only a stone's throw from the house.
I save them for days when I can only squeeze in a 2 or 3 hour hunt.
I have pounded these spots over and over. Besides recent drops of
clad and maybe some jewelry, I will always come across a deep target.
The question is always the same; How did I miss that??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread