Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope that isn't the mine field at Crater of Diamonds.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different location, but no diamonds?

okiedowser

Dec 26, 2009
Mena,Ar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 gold hits,get clay pots. maybetheplace2.PNG

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting little signals in there a few places.

OP
OP
W

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okiedowser,
Is there anyway of telling what kind of gold target this is?, Spanish, coins, ore, jewerly?
Just curious, trying to tie in a little history.
Thanks again !
-Weekender

Another Question, If I may?

Is there any indication of a void? or underground cavern in the area?

Thanks again!
-Weekender

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another Question, If I may?

Is there any indication of a void? or underground cavern in the area?

Thanks again!
-Weekender
I didn't get on here yesterday, but besides the smaller hits, when checking for anything archaeological, there was a very definite hit one spot......although those type of signals can be a variety of targets.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamonds would be nice, my wife gently reminded me!
LoL !
Thanks again !!!
-Weekender
I wasn't really checking for diamonds, until finding out the location, since the site does in some ways resemble the Diamond park mine field in the SE corner. Anyway, there are some smaller signals I'll need to check out now.

As for diamonds, check out my link here. Located the best diamond spots but I'd not prepared enough on recovery equipment, had 3 sizes of gold pan classifiers with assorted gold pans, not much help at the Crater. The diamond ore recovery and mineral specimen finds was most spectacular with the L-rods. Ended up leaving plenty of ore specimens behind since my car being already overloaded.

Trip to Crater of Diamonds State Park with L-rods

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dowsing for voids alone is not good, because deep holes dug by treasure hunters can show up in the results. However, if near deeper signals such as the red rectangles, there is a much better chance. Check the white box. Red circles are the smaller hits, should be 2 ft or less deep. The green is more archaeological which can be a variety of target types.

Attachments

• maybetheplace2- weekender.PNG
    maybetheplace2- weekender.PNG
    230.3 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
W

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't really checking for diamonds, until finding out the location, since the site does in some ways resemble the Diamond park mine field in the SE corner. Anyway, there are some smaller signals I'll need to check out now.

As for diamonds, check out my link here. Located the best diamond spots but I'd not prepared enough on recovery equipment, had 3 sizes of gold pan classifiers with assorted gold pans, not much help at the Crater. The diamond ore recovery and mineral specimen finds was most spectacular with the L-rods. Ended up leaving plenty of ore specimens behind since my car being already overloaded.

Trip to Crater of Diamonds State Park with L-rods

Red_desert,

Nice link on Crater of Diamonds, looks like you had a good trip. You had better luck than I did last time,although
I did get to spend some quality time with the gentleman you talked about with all the diamond specimens. (Maybe the same guy?) He left
me holding his display pouch with every kind of diamond every found in the park, there was about 12-15 different
diamonds and all different colors. He came back about 20 minutes later with some more buckets to wash and sift.
Good day,everyone got muddy and tired. Any day spent there is time well spent.
Thanks,
-Weekender

OP
OP
W

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dowsing for voids alone is not good, because deep holes dug by treasure hunters can show up in the results. However, if near deeper signals such as the red rectangles, there is a much better chance. Check the white box. Red circles are the smaller hits, should be 2 ft or less deep. The green is more archaeological which can be a variety of target types.

Red_desert,

Thank you for the mark up and the information !!
Am looking forward to checking this out !!!
It's about 95^ in the shade with about 85% humidity
at this spot. Make a man pretty humble.
It'll make a man pretty humble.
When and if, I'll let ya'll know.
Thanks,
-Weekender

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's been hot here lately also. I talked to one of the regulars at the crater, a woman processing the buckets her husband was digging. She told me the guy uses a barrel sifter and then on my 2nd week a man close to me started making a lot of noise with what looked to be a barrel rigged to sift. Another guy helped him by digging and swing a large pick. Interesting they dug up spots in areas the L-rods were getting hits. Next time I'd know exactly where to dig, then you need a good partner to process the material. That day I talked to the woman she got 2 diamonds out of one bucket, from processing 3 (5 gallon) buckets. The partner of the barrel sifter guy using the pick was hitting plenty of rocks. When I started to dig where my rods crossed, it was the same way. I think those rocks, especially the flat ones, tend to trap the diamonds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread