Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think he fell off it too many time's....At least that's what Mr. Lee said ::)

OP
OP
S

stefen

Couldn't chew tobaccy and ride at the same time

OP
OP
S

stefen

Its been in my family since the turn of the century.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
stefen said:
Its been in my family since the turn of the century.

Wow... a real artifact! Or at least an antique... did it see CW action?

A certfied personal history of the family member... if in fact he was a CW vet... that might make the value rocket, and be worth the sale... IMO.

OP
OP
S

stefen

Can't say if it actually saw any CW action, however it was obtained by a grand-uncle (grandfathers brother) who preceeded my families immigration...

It passed to my dad then to me...

Some saddles and appurtances have the saddle-makers stamp...to my knowledge WW1 and later were serialized...

As to certification from a family member...that's not going to happen...no pictures, no wills, nada...nada...nada...and nada. Pictures of Gran Unc but not with saddle...

Rebel Man

Jan 26, 2007
Fredericksburg Va
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a Quicksilver & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you will notice the brass badge/shield towards the back of the saddle gives the size of the soldiers a%#
so the procurement officer would be giving the right saddle for the right a*&%. You sure would want the right size saddle, for it is a long war with the wrong one. Ha Ha.
Anyway it looks like the real Mcoy to me for I have found a shield just like that in a confederate camp/soldiers camp shared by both sides. What was known as the watering hole where I'm from.
Rebel Man
As you will see below this is the identical plaque that is on your saddle!

Attachments

• civil war finds from Terry\'s Home and various home pics 001.jpg
    civil war finds from Terry\'s Home and various home pics 001.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,251

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Thank you, that's what I was thinking. One small soldier.

My saddle's a 17 too.

OP
OP
S

stefen

I think that most people have the wrong idea regarding the McClellan saddle.

A McClellan 12 is about the same as a today's 15 to 16 western cut. I'm 6' ~ 195 lbs and it fits fine. Now if you have a broad beam, thats another issue. The 12 was universal and met the needs of the majority of soldiers and almost any breed of horse.

The saddle is extremely comfortable and is similar to a Peruvian saddle and somewhat like an Australian rig. Unlike a western saddle, the McClellan is bare bones and extremely light. The bars are well padded and rides well even on a high withered horse.

Typically, I use a custom 16 inch western cut set on a mexican charro tree which is probably the most comfortable of saddles for extended trail riding (8 to 14 hours), however, I prefer the McClellan for endurance and steep mountain riding.

OP
OP
S

stefen

I find that the seat is confortable....I guess its a matter of how well a person sits a saddle as to its comfort.

Of course a novice will think that they have ridden a fence rail because they do not know how to sit or use their legs to acheive comfort.

I do agree a padded saddle helps some riders, but again if the rider doesnt sit well, its his A$$ ;D

When I had my saddle made in 1970, I used a memory foam that I purchased from a bicycle seat manufacturer.

Couple that with a Peruvian Paso and you'd think you'd been in a rocking chair at the end of 8 hours.

cavtrooper

Apr 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
The saddle looks to be a model 1904. This can be ascertained because of the Brown Leather on the seat and the round rings for the rigging. Civil War McClellan's were not covered in leather. They were covered in rawhide. Their seats will be a cream or yellowish color and be somewhat translucent. In 1874, they began covering the seats in black leather. The seat of your saddle appears to be in fair condition, but some of the rigging has been replaced. Nevertheless, it is a collector's item and should be worth around $200 maybe more depending on the inspectors marks and date.

OP
OP
S

stefen

Actually the leather is black. The saddle predates 1904...Uncle had possession ikn the late 1890's. And yes the some of the rigging has been replaced.

OP
OP
S

stefen

Mrs Oro, eat your heart out...the ultimate pleasure horse. Never call a Peruvian a Paso fino to its face...they are very sensitive and feel like they are being compared to a mule ;D (just kidding)...the Peruvian Paso and Paso Fino are two different gaited breeds...only similarity is both have 4 legs and can eat one bale and crap two.

Although the Peruvian is great for extended trail riding, they unfortunately don't have the bottom end needed for endurance riding, especially hilly or mountainous terrain. Good for driving cattle...and tried using for cutting and left the cows laughing.

Well, the saddle is for sale...

OP
OP
S

stefen

Had to be a cross...they are two distinct species...bone and muscle structure totally different.

What I like is that I can be in a paso gait (brio) and have someone along side in a full gallop and at the end of a mile or so, the other horse is pooped and Senior is like the energizer bunny...ready to take on another horse. ;D

Or be in a full paso gait going across an arena with a full champagne glass in each hand and not spill a drop ;D

Can't do that with a standard breed...even a Tennessee Walker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread