Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long time no hear USTiger. Good to hear you are still interested in the hobby. I remember when the gov was pushing these things, they were actually in circulation during the late 1970s and early 1980s and were given as normal currency. I saved a few including the red and blue certificate types, not sure what those meant. Are you still roll hunting? HH, Mike

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tiger:
Yes that bill is 'special' in that the serial numbers are exactly repeated. Collectors of this type of note call them (would you believe) "repeater notes"-- that do have value above the 'face value'.
Good power of observation on your part.
The bill is from Chicago and about 64.5M were produced.
Don...

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Please don't put "Oldie" and 1976 in the same phrase. That's the year I graduated college, so it Can't be that old! ;D

Old_Okie

OP
OP
USTiger

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old_Okie said:
Please don't put "Oldie" and 1976 in the same phrase. That's the year I graduated college, so it Can't be that old! ;D

Old_Okie

I was born in 1975 soo OLDIE lol

Cynangyl said:
Very cool Bo! Glad to see you back posting again! Missed ya!

Missed you to .. sorry i have been gone so long.. to much work.

plehbah said:
Put that one into the ulcer fund!

Maybe its just me .. what is the Ulser Fund ??

Bavaria Mike said:
Long time no hear USTiger. Good to hear you are still interested in the hobby. I remember when the gov was pushing these things, they were actually in circulation during the late 1970s and early 1980s and were given as normal currency. I saved a few including the red and blue certificate types, not sure what those meant. Are you still roll hunting? HH, Mike

Good to be back.

USTiger

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
try to get all the wrinkles an folds out of the 2.00 bill an then put it in the middle of a heavy book an then stack another heavy book on top of it to try an flatten the bill.. the less wrinkles an folds on the bill the higher it will be worth...

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
creeper71 said:
try to get all the wrinkles an folds out of the 2.00 bill an then put it in the middle of a heavy book an then stack another heavy book on top of it to try an flatten the bill.. the less wrinkles an folds on the bill the higher it will be worth...
That's not really good advice.........it will probably result in more damage than what has already been done in circulation.........if anyone wanted to doctor that note.......they could steam it, then starch it, press it etc, etc. but everything you do is tell-tale. You can always spot a fold no matter how well doctored if you know what you're looking for. It is best to leave the bill as is and carefully insert it into a holder. That note's serial will bring it more than face in that grade.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Ricardo_NY1 said:
creeper71 said:
That's not really good advice.........it will probably result in more damage than what has already been done in circulation.........if anyone wanted to doctor that note.......they could steam it, then starch it, press it etc, etc. but everything you do is tell-tale. You can always spot a fold no matter how well doctored if you know what you're looking for. It is best to leave the bill as is and carefully insert it into a holder. That note's serial will bring it more than face in that grade.
I'm no expert was just trying to help!! sorry if I offended someone..

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
creeper71 said:
Ricardo_NY1 said:
creeper71 said:
I'm no expert was just trying to help!! sorry if I offended someone..
No offense taken bro! :) Just trying to help out in the same way you were.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Earlier this year the Speedway attendant asked me if I minded getting a $2 bill in my change. I said NP. Said he had a bunch of them to "get rid of". IT was crisp as if never used.

A number of years back we visited Thomas Jefferson's Montichello in Virginia (picture of the place is on the back of the Nickel). Anyway, they give you $2 bills for change. I don't know if they still do it.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread