Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any Arizona laws that could interfere with hunting rest areas? Not referring to ones posted because of scenic standing rocks...at least one is that way where moving even surface stones is prohibited.

I'll be vacationing this fall in New Mexico and Arizona. I'm getting a GPAA membership right now. It seems relic hunting ghost towns in Arizona might actually be illegal, even though people are doing it. Could this law affect MD at rest stops? ???

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For starters, "relic hunting AZ ghost towns" is not necessarily "illegal". It would depend on who owns the particular one you're looking at. And even then, it depends on who actually gives a durn, as some are so remote, that no one probably really cares (till you ask) or monitors them, etc..

As for roadside rest stops, I assume you mean the freeway pullouts? If so, I bet if you asked enough AZ bureaucrats, high enough up the chain of command (be sure to mention things like "digging" and "holes" and "treasure", etc...) that you'd probably get someone to tell you "no". But I bet if you just simply did it, no one would care less (as long as you're not sticking out, being a nuisance, leaving a mess, etc...)

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that is what I expected of the rest stops (freeway)...never would bring it to the attention of state authorities because, until someone decides to ask them...they no doubt have never thought about it.

Ghost towns, I'm not much of a relic hunter...but old coins, maybe a cache would nice to find. If I can do a little nugget hunting at GPAA claims, MD rest stops, even find a ghost town to detect...might make a decent vacation. :icon_sunny:

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
One place you might want to try is a baseball field. I have yet to go to a baseball field and NOT find at least one coin. Just look around where the bases are, as long as someone has not beat you to it, you should find something.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet things get lost during most ball games...good idea there,, thanks! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread