MD Configuration

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

While I am just getting used to my BH Sharp Shooter II I like it quite a lot. I have some background in electronics but I want to confirm something with the techie folks here since I haven't had an answer from the BH techs yet.

Because I am hunting Copacabana and Ipanema I have some security concerns. I find myself not spending as much time digging at any specific location or getting down on my knees to really search a spot beccause I want to be aware of my surroundings as well as not letting my MD out of my hands.

I decided to dismount the control box from my MD and put it on a waist belt so that if I am a victim of a "snatch and run"(the most likely scenario) then they will only get the shaft and coil which would be much easier to replace thna the entire MD.

I taped the cable (from the coil to the control box) to the shaft about 2 inches up to keep it from moving around above the coil. I dismounted to control box as described.

I tried it out on Ipanema for a couple of hours and found nothing. I got a few hits but in digging (wet sand) I never found a target. Pinpointing (all metal mode) also seemed to act very differently from before.

Is there any probability that the engineers use a connection through the shaft to the control box? It seems very unlikely to me but the test run was sure disappointing/confusing.

I could use a nylon strap to tether the entire MD to my waist belt but that isn't my preferred solution.

Thanks,
Tim

OP
OP

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Batteries was: MD Configuration

Well the poor performance was cured with new batteries even though the low batt light wasn't on.

Speaking of batteries. My MD says it requires alkaline (2x9v) batteries. I happen to have a pair of brand new Ni-MH 200mAH batteries. What is the potential downsides to using them when I need new ones again? I have done some investigation and I am assuming that my MD (BH SharpShooter II) regulates the two 9V batts in parallel ??? down to 6v (anyone know?). If this is true then the lower nominal voltage of the Ni-MH cells shouldn't be an issue.

A note on the wikipedia entry for Ni-MH batts: "NiMH batteries are not expensive, and the voltage and performance is similar to standard alkaline batteries in those sizes; they can be substituted for most purposes. The ability to recharge hundreds of times can save a lot of money and resources."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal_hydride_battery

In fact this pair (my wife bought them by accident) costs about the same as a pair of alkalines.

It seems to me that Ni-MHs are a good replacement option for alkalines.

Your thoughts/comments?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread