MD IN PENNA.

bob g

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I realize that its been years since I md and now that I have time and what to get back into in doing research and checking past post it seems everything has been md and done what I find very disturbing is the NEGATIVE ATTITUDE that everybody has about md for eight month I have been asking nicely for permission and looking for sites people have been very negative and tell me story's about md's and there total disregard for property ,trespassing,etc. and damage done WHAT THE HELL HAVE SOME OF YOU DONE TO WARRANT THIS NEGATIVE ABOUT MD it wasn't like this fifteen years ago it disturbs me very much I know that I'm far from perfect but the stories I hear I find hard to believe it really ----------off the farmer's I know tell me crop damage and disregard for signs I know allot of places were I use to hunt they told me to many problems and they dont what to deal with it so answer is NO to everything You have to excuse me I know this doesn't apply to all of you but seriously what the hell happened ??? Maybe it's me

Re: md in penna.

Lawyers Happened.

I don't do farm Fields,
But what Damage can be done to Farm fields in the off season ?

I'm sure You asked in the Off season.

Sounds to me is you Have alot of Paranoid
farmers in your area.

Of course I have one farmer like that here.
He only gives Hunters who are Related to him
Permission to Hunt his Land.

Alot of the Locals Refuse to buy his Products because of this.

I askerd once to detect an Old house site,
he told me he sees no Problem with it,
but since he Bars all trespassers, If he Lets me,
they will be even more Upset :tongue3:

I think the problem is that farmers used to give permission to everyone to hunt. A handful of hunters did not respect the farmer's property and/or wishes, so he just decided it isn't worth it to allow people on his land. Nobody has any respect any more! I quit hunting because of that. Like the saying goes, "A few bad apples spoil the bunch". I wrote a letter asking permission to detect her land (14 acres) from a lady who lives halfway across the state. She told me she appreciated my honesty in asking but because hunters would not respect their "No Trespassing" signs and continually sneak on their land to hunt, she could not grant me permission to metal detect. Do I blame her? No. It all boils down to respect.

Hi Bob, welcome back to the real world.

15 years ago might as well been a century ago. I started back in the early 80's and have seen the changes.

It's not us. It's them!

Laws have been passed because of the people without ethics or responsibility to learn what's at stake with this hobby.

They are the people that see a detector at WalMart or some other big box store and have visions of hands full of coins and jewelry and go at it faster than a panicked gopher.

They come on sites like this and troll, seeing todays finds and where people go and then head off without reguard to how these things are found.
They don't ask advice, they don't learn their machines, they don't care about neatness, they have no respect for the law.

Back in the day, we bought our machines from a dealer. There was no internet, no forums and certainly not the mistrust we see today.
We were taught by pros or the dealers and belonged to clubs where we socialized. We read the treasure magazines from front to back, studied the "how-to's" and where's.

We found tons of silver at the parks with our older machines and didn't have the huge amount of trash we find today.

Unfortunately, mass marketing and media has opened the door to anyone with 2 nickles to rub together to buy a cheezy detector at Radio Shack or Walmart. They go out, dig a bazillion holes without refilling them, toss the trash without disposing of it and care nothing of who owns the property. Then they toss their detector in a corner when they get disgusted because of too many rules for the hobby and they don't find anything.

The damage is done. Can't turn the clock back on this one.

I can guarentee you this...not everything has been detected...not even close. Not everything has to be a huge field. Could be a 10x10 plot holding all kinds of finds...if you know where to look.

Where you hunted 15 years ago might not be where you can detect today, but today has other places.

Keep doing your research. Check the old maps, study where things USED to be and what's there now....

Using old maps I've found areas where race tracks used to be but a housing development is there now....BUT...there is still a swath of undeveloped ground where maybe the grandstand was. Not a huge area but tons of potential.

You just have to learn some of the new research techniques of today to compete in todays world.

If you like the hobby and really want to detect, there is more than enough opportunity, only limited by your imagination.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back