MD or CRH?

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I know that some of you guys do both CRH and MD'ing.
So which is more profitable in terms of PM's?

If you ignore the overhead (cost of Detector, gas, etc.) which turns up more dollar value in return for you?

Really curious about this.

(Mods: I know that I have already posted this on the CRH forum, but I want to see if I get different answers over here.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
So far.....the lack of answers to this post sort of gives me the answer I asked for.
Yup.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm followed this post as I do not know what "CRH" is.....
or what you are asking...

Maybe I'm not the only one....

Maybe if you speak a language we can understand we can answer your question....

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I much prefer metal detecting. Sure you will find some coins from the bank and I have but I think your chances of better coins will come from doing your research and digging them up. I find nearly all my silver metal detecting and a ring from time to time. Yes by the time you add in your metal detector and equipment it may be expensive but remember this is a hobby. And I have paid off every machine I have owned from my finds in a very short time. MD and CRH are two different ways to hunt for coins and I like to do both but like MD better.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, CRH is coin roll hunting.......I must not have been running on all cyl.

I metal detect (MD) as a hobby as I find it enjoyable. Coin Roll Hunting is not my bag and I am not thrilled if I find a silver coin in my change or in a coin roll. Oh, I consider myself lucky if I get a silver coin in change, but it just isn't the same. In fact I take coin rolls to the bank to exchange them for paper dollars, not more coins. Coin roll hunting is like work, something to be avoided at all costs.

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Sorry, all.
It didn't occur to me that CRH might not translate as coin roll hunting.

Thanks for the answers.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 30 years of MD I did not know this term, as it's something I have not done...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Piledriver said:
I know that some of you guys do both CRH and MD'ing.
So which is more profitable in terms of PM's?

If you ignore the overhead (cost of Detector, gas, etc.) which turns up more dollar value in return for you?

Really curious about this.

(Mods: I know that I have already posted this on the CRH forum, but I want to see if I get different answers over here.)

Piledriver it all depends on the FJE, at the end of the day. Now, the PM's, we don't usually talk about them. People down in HQ got pretty PO'd down at the last KEO meeting there in Atlanta. They insisted that if it was pulling into the red, it did not matter which was the most profitable, it just needed a little more E even if it seemed SOL. Can't argue with SMF's down in corporate.

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
"totally lacking any challenge?"

Try finding one merc dime in 13,000 dimes like we did last week !

Or rolling $7000.00 worth of coin to find $2.50 face.

I know what you mean about the difference in challenge and effort, but I make EVERY one of my hobbies a challenge. Just me.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Piledriver said:
"totally lacking any challenge?"

Try finding one merc dime in 13,000 dimes like we did last week !

Or rolling $7000.00 worth of coin to find $2.50 face.

I know what you mean about the difference in challenge and effort, but I make EVERY one of my hobbies a challenge. Just me.
Been there my friend! Already been through 100,000 dimes this year myself, all re-rolled. Totally grunt work. ffd

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I hope to find out soon why you guys like MD so much. I've got my eye on a Delta 4000.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not into collecting coins. I do not catalog my found coins or place them in little cardboard and cellophane holders or put them in albums. I just toss my finds into old coffee mugs and the like as found around the house where they sit and sit till the day I die. Then my kids can go through them and do what they will. I'm sure I won't care.

I know people who are into coin roll hunting but they are more into coin collecting and always searching for key dates, etc. More power to them. I would be very bored doing that and would prefer to watch reruns of Laverne & Shirley.

I like to find coins too but I'll get mine with the detector. Once the coin is plucked, I lose all interest in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread