Greenie
Feb 25, 2016
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 400
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new here, so I don't know if this subject has been brought up before, if so, maybe this will help someone who has not read about the benefits of having an Amateur radio.

When you are out away from everything and you get hurt, stuck or have other problems, having a Technician Amateur Radio License and a Radio could mean the difference between life and death. Cell service gets spotty in many areas, but there are Amateur 2 Meter and 70CM repeaters on many mountain tops that can greatly extend the range of a handheld or mobile radio. A repeater is simply a radio on top of a mountain that receives your radio signal on one frequency and then transmits the signal on another frequency to other radios from the mountain top position to anyone listening. Most of the time, there will be at least a few people who are listening and will get you help. Many repeaters have a range from 50 to as much as 100 miles depending on the location. You will find Amateur radio operators will help in any way they can, from an emergency, to getting directions to calling family to let them know you may be running late.

A handheld 2M/70CM radio can be bought for as little as $40.00 from ebay or Amazon and will work just as good as the higher priced handheld radios. Having a higher power radio with a good antenna in your vehicle can extend the range in which you can access a repeater.
There are repeater frequency guides that have the information on where repeaters are located and the frequency's that need to be programed into your radio. You will find many areas with no cell phone coverage but you can still access repeaters. If you are in a valley, you might have to get to higher ground to access a repeater.

Having an Amateur Radio and a GPS will enable someone to find you if you get in trouble. The handheld radios are also much better than GMRS radios (the cheap radios you see in the stores) as to range and clarity when working with a partner or group of people. You transmit on simplex, a single frequency programed into all the radios in the group. You can buy or make a roll up antenna that can be pulled up into a tree that will greatly extend the range of a handheld radio. These roll up antennas weigh next to nothing.

The Technician license is an easy license to get. There are Amateur radio groups that have regular Study and testing sessions or you can get the study questions right off of the net. It will cost you about $15.00 for the test plus study materials should you decide to buy them. I studied for one night and about 4 hours the next day with study material off of the net and aced my test, it's not a hard test to pass. The exact questions and answers are available on the net and in study guides. There is a pool of 150 questions. From that pool, the test has 35 questions.
The radio license itself is cheap and good for seven to ten years if memory serves. Most Amateur Radio operators are more than happy to help you with any question or problem you might have.
The one thing you don't want to do is use an amateur radio without being licensed. The licenses are easy to get, cost little and will keep you out of trouble with the FCC.

For both safety and being able to communicate with others in your group, having an Amateur radio is a huge bonus. You might even find some good hunting tips talking to other Amateurs in the area. Another great resource for finding hot spots.

John

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some good points but I don't have a radio or know the lingo. How small do they make the radios?

OP
OP
I

Idaho Digger

Greenie
Feb 25, 2016
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 400
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are about 3" by 5". A couple inches thick. You can remove the antenna when not in use. The lower priced radio I mentioned to is a "Baofeng" brand. They are available on ebay or Amazon for $35.00 to $45.00. They come with the antenna, battery and battery charger. An extra battery is about $15.00 and worth having.
You should be able to find a local Amateur Radio club near by. They can help you with whatever you need. Not a steep learning curve.
The club members can give you a program or show you where to download one that will allow you to pre program the radio for any area you may be going to. Each repeater has a different input and output frequency as well as something called a PL code. All easily programed in the radio.
You can easily spend under $100.00 to get licensed, get the radio and repeater guide (put out by the ARRL).

If going to an area not near home, they are great for getting directions and as I said, maybe even some good tips or an invitation to search the property of the guy on the other end of the conversation. Most Ham Radio Operators are great people and will go out of their way to help other Hams.

A Ham radio is a great thing to have in any emergency.

John

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Idaho Digger,

I couldn't agree with you more. Ham radio has proven to be great fun and a big convenience while traveling.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend of mine ,metal detects and runs a big short wave radio off Lookout mountain. He has a blast with it. I have an old halicarft? Maybe from an airplane I need it rewound on the dials. It is a tube type.World ever goes to the zombies ham radios will save the day!
Thanks for the post.

OP
OP
I

Idaho Digger

Greenie
Feb 25, 2016
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 400
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other great thing about Amateur radio is that the operators get together on the air and have "Rag Chews". They talk about a lot of different things. Bringing up your hobby of metal detecting is bound to have you find others in your area you may not know about who are looking for someone to detect with or finding someone who would like to learn. You can ask if anyone knows about old properties that can be detected and find out who to contact about getting permission to detect. Knowing someone who owns property or knows someone who has a good site, and having someone refer you to them is gold. Makes getting permission much easier.
Getting to the good ground is about networking with others. An introduction beats going up to someone cold and asking permission every time.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread