Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this is an old topic that doesn't warrant discussion. I was cruising the channels this evening and came across Destination America with two shows, "Dig Wars" and "Dig Fellas". Both of these shows have the potential to be interesting but the diggers act like they have never found anything whenever they get a signal. The only thing missing was someone saying, "roundness in the hole!".

Now, I have to admit that I get excited about finding stuff but never to the point of apoplexy. These folks are like a football player who makes a touchdown and acts like they've never seen the end zone.

Still, pretty funny to watch ... once.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember watching one called "American Savage Diggers" or something. It was based on making money, where they would always find thousands of dollars each hunt. Of course I didn't believe any of it, but it was pretty hilarious to watch. I remember once they found a milk jug with a bunch of pennies in it, then they found a key date double eagle mixed in...

that was originally American digger with the Rastler.

He wrote for American digger Magazine,
Then Embarrassed them With the TV Show.
So he was Forced to Change the name.
his last name was Savage.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant stand Dig Fellas...the guys are just weird to me and the voices annoying the hell out of me.

As for TV shows, I totally love the Detectorists...its funny and very relevant to our hobby.

Most the people on Youtube try to hard or just dont know how to be normal, but there are 3-4 I actually look forward to seeing new episodes. Mainly because they actually care about detecting..not just how cleaver they can make the title and how many views the get...THATS the reality of detecting videos these days.

Hoover Boys is my top choice....JD Varieties is good...Dig that Beep is pretty solid...and there are a few more.

JD is a click-baiting putz. He lost my interest after posting a super long video with a title that suggested he was considering suicide. Of course he wasn't but you wouldn't know that from the title.
I'm also not a fan of his videos that mock the plight of the hungry and homeless. These are the ones where he detects areas in order to dig enough clad for a McDouble.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished season 3 of the Detectorist and it was great! I binged watched 3 seasons in 3 days it was that good. Lot of laughs and I'm sure I'll be quoting it for years. Also just the positive light it displays for the hobby is great as well.

The CTX is a beast with that 17" coil and I'll admin I didn't know the Arado was a real machine! Also kinda makes me want the collapsible XP deus now ...hmm

No spoiler but when he finds the tip of that spear I about lost it:laughing7:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved to Pennsylvania in August, 2017. I haven't hooked up my TV. I really don't mind not wasting my time watching the Boob Tube. Especially silly shows like Diggers

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just finished season 3 of the Detectorist and it was great! I binged watched 3 seasons in 3 days it was that good. Lot of laughs and I'm sure I'll be quoting it for years. Also just the positive light it displays for the hobby is great as well.

The CTX is a beast with that 17" coil and I'll admin I didn't know the Arado was a real machine! Also kinda makes me want the collapsible XP deus now ...hmm

No spoiler but when he finds the tip of that spear I about lost it:laughing7:

Bet he felt like having a nice cool drink of lemonade after that. lol

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can understand that his accent (Adam Sandler) and some of his catch phrases aren't for everyone. He can also be harsh in his opinions for sure!

My dad's generation 50's would say "That's *****in" for cool and I am a Gen X 80's so we might say "That's Sick" or "Sweet"
I feel the same way about the SilverSlingers I really wanted to watch their videos for the whites machines, but their is just something about the sound of her voice. I have to watch it in short burst of 30 seconds.

Trying to rouse the same excitement from the viewers, Bill doesn't cut it.
His city-boy attitude grinds on my nerves, however, I still watch the bum...!
I like the stuff found - in anybody's YouTube digging channel......it's a long Winter, ya know....!

And Silverslingers, I like the glee, the enthusiasim, the lady has...! Besides, Dunkin Doughnuts coffee, before the hunt, is a great idea...! Reminds me........:coffee:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say I dislike Bill Ladd.
As a Person who Metal Detects I Respect his Opinion.

But as a TV Personality, His Voice & his lack of credibility due to Editors, bug me.

I doubt either one of them Sound like that when Out Detecting
without Cameras on them.

My guess their Voices Rise & Their Enthusiasm Increases Wildly
On camera.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They get paid well and put on good spots and most likelt get machines free just to use to advertise where do I sign uo lol

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It must be the Hobby's future. The machines might be props and the rest is all real.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which one is the English show with the pirate actor?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Detectorists. That's the one I mentioned (MacKenzie Crook). And he really is a metal detectorist in real life.

detectorists_andy.jpg

Or as real as any of our lives get.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RustyGold,

I am very good friends with Howard. He in real life is a very quite man who's knowledge of history will astound most people. His detailed paper work recordings of every find would fill books. We have talked about the show "Dig Fellas" and its producing. He did tell me all the finds are real, but sometimes there had to be a shot retake do to camera angle, lighting...etc. He is a gentlemen through and through, a great guy to hang out with and talk about history, detecting, machines...etc.! :icon_thumleft:

Regards,

Doc

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The only one I've ever enjoyed or sought out is "Detectorists" with Mackenzie Crook (He's Orell in the Game of Thrones and Ragetti in Pirates of the Caribbean).

Great stuff.

How about that! We agree on something Charlie! LOL! I enjoy that series very much!:icon_thumleft:

When he throws that CTX3030 on the ground and starts to dig I just cringe! Maybe he is advertising how tuff they are?:laughing7:

Last edited:

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say I dislike Bill Ladd.
As a Person who Metal Detects I Respect his Opinion.

But as a TV Personality, His Voice & his lack of credibility due to Editors, bug me.

I doubt either one of them Sound like that when Out Detecting
without Cameras on them.

My guess their Voices Rise & Their Enthusiasm Increases Wildly
On camera.

This is a video of us on my youtube ch digging last weekend at a bottle dump. His personality is the same as the show. Hes a good guy & knows his stuff

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That bottle dump is a treasure trove...:icon_thumleft:

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bottle dump is a treasure trove...:icon_thumleft:

Thanks! Its unreal.. Have to see it to beleive it. Once you get to that dump layer they just drop in your hands. Many more digs ahead for that place. They can dig all day for months and not cover it all.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of these shows got to me too. Especially the Jerry Lewis silliness. My wife used to ask me if I acted like some of them do, swinging around a tree, belly flopping in a mud puddle, rolling in the grass as though your britches had been invaded by a caravan of fire ants. No, I replied, I don't ever recall ever acting like that.....and pray that I never do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread