MD Waterproofing question

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
Hmm. i don't know whiat kind of model you have but. Almost 99% of coils on detectors are waterproof now a days. I know that bounty hunter, Whites, and garrett makes nothing but waterproof coils. I know that comapanies now makes coil covers to protect the bottom of the coil from scrapes and damage.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I used to bag my el cheapo in trash bags and use them in water, as long as the coil is completely submerged it performs somewhat normally(in fresh water, salt water can pose a problem sometimes) I wouldn't try this with an expensive detector! Double bag and try not to drag the coil to avoid puncturing or tearing the bag! 8)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BEST way to water proof a detector is,

to buy a detector made for hunting in the water, and then you've got nothing to worry about! ;D

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Call or e-mail your detector manufacturer and ask them. I just sent a note to Garrett the other day asking them if the stock coil on the detector I got was submersible and they said as long as I didn't get the control box wet, I was in good shape. I think michinkae is right, most of them are these days but play it safe and give them a call.

Dudes

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Also, something to note... When I talked to Garrett they said if I was ever asking about another detector coil from another company to be sure to ask if it was submersible and not just water proof. They said that water proof, as far as detector coils go, means you could be out in a light rain and it would be fine. But submersible means you can actually dunk it into the lake. Not sure if those are just Garrett terms or if that's industry standard lingo. Basically, be very specific when you tell them what you plan to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread