MDing as male/female team or single

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
I have not the experience lots of folks have had, and my mistakes taught me that we all make them. First off, If my beeper sounds off I get excited and start digging. With a one track mind, I get off course, miss some area and then go over the same area I have scanned. I notice many of you do the same thing.
I have come up with my own plan and some of you already probably do the same. I will work grids which I will mark. How will I do it? Here goes.
I am going to buy a couple of packages of skewers,( bamboo), three colors of two inch plastic tape ( White, Red and one other bright color. Make a flag on each Skewer. That's all I plan on starting with, because I am lazy.
When my partner and I start swinging those MDs around, say our grids are going to be 10x10 feet we will put down 6 white flags , flags and the MD is the only things we will lug around. If we get a beep we put a colored flag down. By the way, those grids will have a non metallic white flag on each corner. When we get all the grids scanned and flagged. Its time to get excited without loosing our place.
Now we only use one MD and the slave member does the digging and carries the tools in a five gallon bucket if you need that many, The Alpha Member does the MDing and we will swap if threatened.
If you have some ideas, lets have em. I know there is lots of methods used out there that would help people like me, and if you got a minute I can tell you all I know.....newt

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Thanks for sharing. That is a good idea!

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Pepper2004 said:
Thanks for sharing. That is a good idea!
I got another good idea,(I think) don't have any more birthdays or you will get old. I haven't had one in thirty-eight years so I am only forty-two now and very serious. Reason I stay away from jokes, is I forget the punch line.
Oh, I forgot and got off the subject, if this flagging system works, I will keep on harping on it.
Those survey stakes are bulky and I am lazy and they cost too much, the metal stakes are interfering with the MD.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey gnewt,

Since your the Alpha why don't you just get yourself a lawn chair and sun umbrella along with some cold adult beverages and a cool looking palm straw hat and sit back and let the subordinate do everything, then when it comes time to check all the flags you could hold the umbrella so you don't get sunburned. Oh and make sure your worker has a good handle on that bucket so it woun't break and loose all the loot!

(I would go with the bamboo stakes, if you lost one you haven't lost anything, besides you can always have your partner look for it, just gett em a really good flash light)!

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
its_toby said:
hey gnewt,

Since your the Alpha why don't you just get yourself a lawn chair and sun umbrella along with some cold adult beverages and a cool looking palm straw hat and sit back and let the subordinate do everything, then when it comes time to check all the flags you could hold the umbrella so you don't get sunburned. Oh and make sure your worker has a good handle on that bucket so it woun't break and loose all the loot!

(I would go with the bamboo stakes, if you lost one you haven't lost anything, besides you can always have your partner look for it, just gett em a really good flash light)!
Toby, I don't have a Beta (partner), gotta get one. I do have that chair and the Beta can carry the barley hops and run back and get some more if I panic. I got to have that straw hat unless I comb that hair coming out of my ears and over my head. I just do not see how an old dude like me could do all this without some help, mercy.
Any how I don't plan on spending much money on my markers or beta, wish I had one that would buy the gas. Maybe I could run an ad in Forbes. These free ad papers got them Betas with mud on their ankles, been picking beans or something and want to drag some old inbred cats with them. Hope they can tote wood and cook, I don't expect a lot.
I am not really like that, and people will be avoiding me like the plague. I only have one fault that I am trying to overcome, I lie a lot...

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
If I could figure out a way to convert the golf cart to more of an all terrain cart I'd be willing to pull that around loaded down with equipment. Since I'm lazy it's usually just me, a digger, and the detector.

Working the grid pattern is a good idea but I'd be afraid an actual laid out grid would draw unwanted attention.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have always detected with buddies of the male variety...But am getting ready to take on a new detecting buddy of the female variety. I am really looking forward to this new partnership.

When I want to hunt a place thoroughly I will make a lane using kite string and stakes. i will then slowly search the entire lane while overlapping my coil swings. When I have finished a lane I simply move a pair of stakes over and repeat...My plan is to allow my new hunting partner to dig the signals....then put the keepers in my pouch. i will pat her on the head and say."good girl". i will keep you all informed on how this relationship blossoms..Steve

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Steve, That's a good idea,I may try that too. Now I have to come up with the ambition.
Them boy partners will drink your barley hops, and not many of them can cook. Some can even beat you up and always wanting to divide. I don't guess I'll ever get a beta partner after posting on here. Shore is going to be lonesome out there..Newt

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well boys...this was sure entertaining......I think it actually belongs in the comedy section.
Its time you step back from the crack and wake up to the real world.
First...anyone who knows about detecting with women will be able to tell you the real rules of the game....She who digs Keeps....Everything...Even the stuff you "Alphas" (cough,LOL) dig....The only Beta going on that I can see...is the Beta-ing of the detector over your heads.

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Gypsyheart said:
Well boys...this was sure entertaining......I think it actually belongs in the comedy section.
Its time you step back from the crack and wake up to the real world.
First...anyone who knows about detecting with women will be able to tell you the real rules of the game....She who digs Keeps....Everything...Even the stuff you "Alphas" (cough,LOL) dig....The only Beta going on that I can see...is the Beta-ing of the detector over your heads.
Gyp, I thought being short, pale and ugly they might feel sorry for me. Guess I will have to be alone. I ain't gonna have one of us good ole boys. They all scratch and pick their nose when they cook. Don't that make you sick?
I am only 5 foot 16 but I 'm not pale, sort of rusty looking. Cannot take my picture, sorry no shatter proof lense.
I'm not trying to be a comodian, all I want to do is be serious with a straight face .
( Thanks for your reply, I loved it. We need more women folks to chime in.)

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Nickle,
See, you get all kinds of good ideas, Golf tee would work if you we are not in weeds or tall grass. You could carry a bunch of them in your pocket.
Sorry I got you to thinking lazy too, thanks.

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Got another good idea, get one of those crime scene tapes and put it around the whole area, then just go hunting. I'm sure the police or sheriff would give you one.
I will go check and may be back and give a report.

nickel67

Dec 7, 2007
In weeds and tall grass huh??Sorta hard to swing the detector in that...When I'm in weeds and want to grid I'll pull a weed at the corners or use spades ( big shovels)..Here's another idea ,if you have yourself a digger (beta) use different colored poker chips for different depths I.E. white 2 inches or less ,red 3-4 inches etc... You get the idea or use them for a grid.. ;) Nickel

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Be OK Nickel if I had a Beta, and never will get one, Gypsy said she may start th'ing on my head with her MD. So I had to quit asking on the net. Well, I didn't ask I sort of hinted. If I wasn't so serious and could quit ling I could probably have more friends.
By the way that different color for depth is good idea. You don't need that heavy equipment for the shallow pull tabs or gold. So you could go after them first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread